Earlier in the day, it was revealed that Microsoft would not be releasing any new Windows 10 PC Insider builds today due to a bug that had "big impact." Even with that so, it turns out that Dona Sarkar and the Windows Insider team still have a surprise in store for eager Windows Insiders. Indeed, Microsoft has released Windows 10 Mobile Insider build 15240 to the phones of Fast Ring Windows Insiders, with one new feature in tow. Here is what you need to know.
- Emoji 5.0: Just like we did on PC, we have added support for the latest Unicode updates – including new snacks, actions, dinosaurs, and even fantasy characters like genies, fairies and zombies – to Windows 10 Mobile in this build. They’re all accessible via both the touch keyboard and the Emoji Panel. We’ve tweaked some of our original emoji designs based on your feedback and to improve consistency with how the emoji is displayed on other platforms (while maintaining our Windows style).
- Chinese Lunar Calendar: We have received questions about supporting the Chinese Lunar calendar on Windows 10 Mobile. The power of a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app is that it can run on any Windows-based device. The Calendar UWP app supports the Chinese Lunar calendar on both PC and Mobile. Here’s how you can enable the calendar on Mobile.
- We fixed the issue where trying to update Windows Store apps saved to your SD card resulted in an 8007000B error. Apps installed on SD cards should update without any issue.
- We fixed an issue where there was no icon shown for Windows Update for either new notifications or on the settings page under Settings > System > Notifications & actions.
- Occasionally, Narrator speaks phrases in English rather than the chosen non-English language.
- There is a problem with the HP Elite X3 with wired docks where the portrait orientation setting is lost when the external display is disconnected and reconnected. A workaround for this is to reboot the phone after tapping the “OK” button instead of disconnecting and reconnecting. This workaround must be performed every time you connect to an external display you want to use with Continuum in portrait orientation.
- When installing or updating a Windows Store app, you may see error 80070057. As a workaround, you can get the latest app by uninstalling the older version of the app from your device and reinstall latest version from Store.
This time, the Windows Insider team warned Insiders that it would be a staggered rollout, so you may not see this new build in Windows Update until tomorrow morning. Let us know if you're already able to download it in the comments below.Further reading: build 15240, Fast Ring, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Insider