Windows Defender, Subsystem for Linux get improved in Windows 10 Insider build 17063
Today’s Windows Insider build included a lot of new features, but Windows Defender and Subsystem for Linux also see some improvements. Here is what you need to know on these two fronts.
- Microsoft is bringing Windows Defender Application Guard to Windows 10 Professional in the next feature update of Windows 10. Now, like Windows 10 Enterprise users, Windows 10 Pro Users can navigate the Internet in Application Guard knowing their systems are protected from even the most sophisticated browser attacks. Windows Defender Application Guard provides unprecedented protection against targeted threats using Microsoft’s industry leading Hyper-V virtualization technology.
- Quick access from the context menu: You can now right-click on the Windows Defender icon in the notification area and get an updated context menu that lets you quickly do a quick scan, update your Defender definitions, change the notifications and open Windows Defender Security Center.
Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
- WSL can run background tasks: Processes that set themselves up to run in the background such as sshd, tmux/screen, etc. will now continue running after the last console window has been closed. Read this blog for more information and a demo.
- Elevated and non-elevated WSL instances can run simultaneously: Previously WSL instances all had to all run as elevated or all unelevated. Now you can run some elevated and some non-elevated instances. You can also use Scheduled Tasks to run WSL.
- WSL runs in remote connections: WSL is now supported when connected via OpenSSH, VPN, Enter-PSSession, and/or other similar Windows remoting tools.
- Tool to convert Linux paths to Windows-friendly paths: Wslpath is a tool that allows you to convert Linux paths to their Windows equivalent.
Developers and the technical type will definitely appreciate these features. Let us know if you think Microsoft can further improve in these areas by dropping us a comment below.Further reading: build 17063, developer, Microsoft, Redstone 4, RS4, Windows 10, Windows Defender, Windows Insider, Windows Subsystem for Linux