Although it was mentioned in the Windows Insider webcast that there would be no new builds today, the Insider team has had a slight change of heart. Late tonight, Microsoft pushed out Windows 10 Insider Preview build 16294 to the Fast Ring only. This is once again a fairly minor build that is mainly focused on fixing the boot and install issues which have been plaguing Surface Pro 3 users, but there are still some changes you need to take note of before installing.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC:
- This build has the fix for the bug that was causing some Surface Pro 3 devices to end up in a “unbootable” state where the Windows OS will not load and it appears to be stuck on a “spinning dots” screen. After installing this build, Surface Pro 3 devices should no longer get into this state. If you have a Surface Pro 3 in a bad state – follow the instructions on this forum post to get back up and running.
- We fixed an issue on Dutch builds where explorer could go into a crash loop if an app-requested downloads notification popped up from OneDrive.
- We fixed an issue where expand.exe couldn’t expand CABs that contained Japanese characters in the file name.
- We fixed a race condition that could result in window content being transparent (but showing the window frame) or stale after unlocking your desktop.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders seeing error 0x800B010C when attempting to upgrade to the last few flights.
As the release date of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update nears, it's great to see that Microsoft is working hard to put the final touches on these builds (even if it means that Insiders to stay up late to download!) We wish you well in your downloading, and remind you to keep your feedback coming to Microsoft via the Feedback Hub!