For fans of Halo 5: Guardians, the suspense is over. Microsoft has announced that the eighth content package for Halo 5, called Warzone Firefight, will launch next Wednesday, June 29th. And it will include the new PvE multiplayer mode Warzone Firefight first announced in February.
The new multiplayer game mode is a Player versus Environment (PvE) combat mode where players fight together to overcome increasingly difficult challenges. What makes this different from other Halo PvE multiplayer game modes is that Warzone Firefight is meant to take advantage of the tremendous scale and huge maps of Halo 5 Warzones. Up to eight players will be able to fight together to survive five challenging rounds which will include dynamic objectives and numerous enemies, including a new tier of "Mythic" enemy bosses.
And to celebrate the launch of Warzone Firefight, Microsoft is making Halo 5: Guardians free to play for Xbox Live Gold members from June 29th to July 5th as part of their Free Play Days program. Gold members will also be able to purchase Halo 5: Guardians for 50% off during the free play period. And so if you are a Xbox Live Gold member and haven't played Halo 5: Guardians, the Fourth of July holiday weekend will be a great time to try out the game and its latest multiplayer mode for free.
Warzone Firefight will also contain some other content, like new maps, a new Halo Forge canvas, and new REQ items. Here is the full list of what will be included in the new content launching next Wednesday for Halo 5: Guardians.
- New Game Mode – Warzone Firefight: Warzone Firefight is, by far, the biggest content release since the launch of Halo 5: Guardians! As a result of the beta in April, 343 Industries has taken player feedback to improve the game mode for launch, such as increasing the difficulty each round and adding brand new bosses and vehicles – including the hilarious (and deadly) Grunt Goblin boss and the powerful UNSC VTOL, AV-49 Wasp, deployable as a REQ vehicle in all Warzone modes and available to use in Forge. Check out Polygon and IGN to get a sneak peek at both of these new additions to Halo 5: Guardians.
- New Campaign Feature – Score Attack: As detailed on Halo Waypoint, the Warzone Firefight content release will include a new way to play Halo 5: Guardians’ campaign – Score Attack! Campaign scoring makes a return to Halo 5: Guardians, enabling players to compete against their friends for points and medals in online co-op play or solo. Remember – in Score Attack, the points do matter so be sure to defeat enemies with style and flourish!
- New Maps – Attack on Sanctum, Prospect and Molten: The free Warzone Firefight release brings three new maps across multiple game modes: Attack on Sanctum, Prospect and Molten. In the Attack on Sanctum map for Warzone, revisit the Covenant homeworld of Sanghelios, or take it to the rocky roads of Prospect for Warzone Assault. For Arena players, Molten will be a hot new Arena map – be sure not to fall into the stream of lava!
- New Forge Canvas – Tidal: Since the release of a new super-charged Forge mode for Halo 5: Guardians in December, Forgers have been hard at work creating some of the most unique, creative and innovative maps ever seen in Halo. The Warzone Firefight release brings a fan-requested canvas, the ocean-themed Tidal. No longer will players have to struggle to find water to Forge on – it’s literally everywhere on Tidal!
- New REQs Items: Warzone Firefight adds several new REQ items, including the Cinder and Cyclops armor sets, Covenant vehicle and weapon variants, HCS Pro League weapon skins and additional customization sets.
The Xbox Wire Staff stated in their announcement that there will be more surprises revealed leading up to the launch of Warzone Firefight next week, so stay tuned for more Halo 5 news.