After dropping the bombshell that head of Windows development will be departing from Microsoft, the Windows team manages to keep the wheels of progress greased and running as they seed build 17634 to Skip Ahead Insider participants.
— Dona Sarkar on vacation 🇧🇧🍹🤷🏽♀️ (@donasarkar) March 29, 2018
While many of us Insiders wait for the download and install to complete, here is a list of things to expect regarding what’s been fixed from the last build and what old or new outstanding issues have cropped up between builds.
- General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
We fixed an issue where typing in the Microsoft Edge URL bar immediately after opening a new tab might result in the letters appearing in an unexpected order.
- We fixed an issue when opening .html or .pdf files from the local system (double-click, right-click > open), Microsoft Edge will not render the loaded content if Microsoft Edge wasn’t already running before opening the file.
- We fixed an issue where PDFs displayed using Microsoft Edge would shrink after refreshing the page when using a DPI scaling > 100%.
- We fixed an issue that could result in Microsoft Edge crashing when turning off certain extensions.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Task Manager not showing the application title in the process name for open Visual Studio projects.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the UAC dialog potentially not rendering correctly in the last few flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in certain devices with BitLocker enabled unexpectedly booting into BitLocker recovery in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue where the Emoji Panel would close after typing an accent in certain languages.
- We fixed an issue resulting in focus being lost after using WIN+A to close the Action Center.
- If you open Settings and clicking on any links to the Microsoft Store or links in tips, Settings will crash. This includes the links to get themes and fonts from the Microsoft Store, as well as the link to Windows Defender.
- On resuming from sleep, the desktop may be momentarily visible before the Lock screen displays as expected.
- When Movies & TV user denies access to its videos library (through the “Let Movies & TV access your videos library?” popup window or through Windows privacy settings), Movies & TV crashes when the user navigates to the “Personal” tab.
Build 17634 was probably already in the can before Microsoft planned to announce Terry Myerson’s departure, but it’ll be interesting to see how the company prioritizes Windows development, treatment of Insider testing and access to engineers in the future.
An interesting sign thus far is head of the Windows Insider program Dona Sarkar penning the latest Windows blog with Brandon LeBlanc and asking Windows 10 Insiders to sign for testing Office.