Today, the Mojang announced the big release of Minecraft Better Together Update into public beta. For those tuning in, the Better Together Update introduces cross-platform play for all Bedrock Editions including console, pocket editions, and Windows 10 PC. Pretty much everything except PlayStation versions basically. The beta is open to everyone that owns digital copies of Minecraft on Windows 10 PC, Xbox One, and Android. Here’s how you can join in the fun:
Xbox One / Windows 10
You will need to own the digital version of the game. For the beta, disc owners are not supported – sorry!
Joining the Minecraft Beta on Windows 10 or Xbox One:
1. Go to the Store app on Xbox One or a Windows 10 PC.
2. Search for the Xbox Insider Hub app.
3. Download and install Xbox Insider Hub.
4. Launch the Xbox Insider Hub.
5. Navigate to Insider content > Minecraft Beta.
6. Select Join.
7. Have fun and find bugs!
– Click this Join Beta link and click the “Become a Tester” button as shown below, then wait for an update in the Google Play Store. If you don’t see the page below, double check you are using the account that owns your copy of Minecraft: Pocket Edition. Remember to back up your worlds before you start beta testing.
– Click this Leave Beta link and click “Leave the program” as shown below. Then uninstall your copy of the game from the Google Play Store. Don’t worry, your worlds will not be deleted and you don’t have to buy the game again.Then wait for the Google Play Store to show the old version and reinstall the game. Remember to restore any worlds you opened while beta testing because those worlds won’t be compatible with the old version.
Windows 10 and Android Better Together betas are already rolling out this morning but according to Mojang, Xbox One is ‘coming soon’. How soon has yet to be determined. As for other platforms, there is no news for beta or release date to report just yet. Until then, you can keep up with news about Minecraft and it’s upcoming cross-play features here at OnMSFT.Further reading: Microsoft, Minecraft, Mojang