Microsoft Editor is completely free to install though Microsoft 365 users gain extra functionality such as premium features that enhance the flow and style of your writing.
Here’s the official store description for Microsoft Editor:
Become a better writer across the web with Microsoft Editor(1), your intelligent writing assistant. Microsoft Editor(1) moves with you across sites, so you can confidently write clear, concise posts online. With this browser extension, you receive:
- Intelligent writing assistance – nail the basics of spelling, grammar, and punctuation for free. Receive advanced grammar and stylistic feedback on clarity, conciseness, formality, vocabulary, and much more with premium(2).
- Assistance anywhere you write – Receive feedback on sites like LinkedIn, Gmail, Facebook, and many more of your favourites with this browser extension. If you want Editor's assistance beyond the web, open Word and look for the Editor icon to see how Editor can help across documents, email, and the rest of the web.
- Feedback in multiple languages – receive basic feedback in 20+ languages (and spellchecking specifically in over 80) to communicate clearly, no matter what language in which you're writing.
(1) Available for Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome browsers and requires a Microsoft Account. Editor connects to a Microsoft online service that offers spelling, grammar and refinements suggestions for your writing on most websites.
(2) Microsoft 365 subscription required to access premium Editor features
Microsoft Editor works in much a similar way to the popular Grammarly service by automatically checking your writing across services as you type. Our own Arif wrote an in-depth comparison of the two services so make sure to check it out if you’re trying to decide between which service to use.