Tata Motors and Microsoft India have announced a strategic technology agreement to redefine connected and personalized driving experiences for Indian customers.
Tata Motors Limited is India’s largest automobile company and Tata cars, buses and trucks are marketed in several countries in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, South East Asia, South America, Australia, CIS, and Russia.
As part of the collaboration, Tata Motors will leverage Microsoft’s connected vehicle technologies that bring together artificial intelligence, advanced machine learning, and the Internet of Things capabilities on the global hyper-scale Azure cloud, to create a highly personalized, smart and safer driving experience across the digital life of a vehicle owner.
“We are excited to partner with Tata Motors as they embark on a new journey of innovation with Microsoft Azure cloud. Using IoT, AI and machine learning technologies, we will provide vehicle owners in India and across the world with a safe, productive and fun driving experience.”
– Anant Maheshwari, President, Microsoft India
The first vehicle showcasing the vision of the enhanced driving experiences will be unveiled at the Geneva International Motor show on March 7 utilizing Microsoft enabled functionality like advanced navigation, predictive maintenance, telematics, and remote monitoring features.
“With the aim to develop innovative and technologically leading products that excite customers, we at Tata Motors, understand the need for a connected ecosystem that can integrate into the digital lives of customers. We are using Microsoft’s connected vehicle technologies on Azure intelligent cloud to bring the digital lives of our customers into the cars they drive. Making the most of fast-paced innovation cycle that Microsoft has to offer, we will create a fully connected and seamless driving experience for our customers.”
– Guenter Butschek, CEO & MD, Tata Motors
There are several driving scenarios being explored for the future.
- Based on their profile and location data, vehicle owners can receive proactive point-of-interest, shopping and route assist recommendations enabling them to achieve more on the go.
- Pre-emptive service alerts based on vehicle health data will enable owners to avoid costly down time en-route on planned road trips.
- Using industry-leading firmware over the air (FOTA) and software over the air (SOTA) updates protocols, key vehicle settings can be updated remotely, over the cloud. These will help cloud based diagnostics and the ability to use insights from vehicle data to prevent warranty and recall issues, and offer new services that improve user experience.
- By capturing, analyzing and acting on live road conditions, vehicle owners will be able to increase safety, optimize vehicle performance by avoiding roadblocks and rough terrain. By unifying navigation, data elements like maps, weather, traffic, and parking the solution can deliver optimized routing and location based services to vehicle owners.
Using Microsoft technology will empower Tata Motors to provide connectivity features on mainstream, mass-market vehicles at affordable prices powered by Microsoft Azure cloud and services such as advanced analytics, machine learning, IoT, and artificial intelligence.