Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 17004 for Skip Ahead Insiders
Late this afternoon, Microsoft pushed out Windows 10 Insider Preview build 17004 for those Insiders who have opted to Skip Ahead. It should be noted that the build number has jumped significantly, but this is only because the development of a new `featured update for Windows 10 has begun. The watermark at the bottom of the desktop has also disappeared with this build, but Microsoft is saying that it will be back in the next build. There are not a lot of new features to play with here, but here is a quick look at what you need to know.
Fluent Design: As we progress into the next feature update, you’ll begin to see more and more elements of Fluent Design light up. We love the enthusiasm we’ve seen for Fluent Design, and with today’s build you’ll notice that Reveal is now visible on Start in All apps.
Microsoft Edge Improvements:
- We fixed an issue where typing a web address into the address bar from the New Tab and Start Page and would sometimes clear the text and not result in any page navigation
- We fixed an issue resulting in keyboard layout changes potentially not being applied when using Microsoft Edge after setting focus to the address bar.
- We fixed an issue where the tab previews for PDFs were black with a white bar on each side.
- We fixed an issue where the first time you pressed Ctrl + F to open Search, the search box doesn’t get focus. We also fixed an issue where you might be unable to type in the address bar after clicking on CTRL+F text field.
- We fixed an issue where “Open with previous pages” wouldn’t recover tabs after dragging a tab between two Microsoft Edge windows.
- We fixed an issue resulting copy/paste and the print dialog not working for those using the updated Youtube.com website design.
- We fixed an issue where Ctrl + Click on a link in a PDF wouldn’t open the link in a new tab.
- We fixed an issue resulting in PDFs potentially rendering blank after panning down a few pages and back up.
- We fixed an issue from recent flights where Alt + D wouldn’t bring input focus to the address bar when certain keyboards were active.
- We fixed an issue resulting in a stutter when selecting long strings in certain single line editable text boxes (for example when naming favorites in Microsoft Edge).
- We fixed an issue resulting in the enter key not working properly in Facebook Messenger.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Delete key on the full touch keyboard layout unexpectedly inserting a period in UWP apps.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC:
- RS4 builds include many of the same fixes included in the latest RS3 builds.
- We are introducing a new color wheel to Color & High Contrast Settings to help you get a feel for the effect of each of the different available color filters.
- You may see a Microsoft Edge shortcut on your desktop after upgrading to this build. You can delete the shortcut, upgrade from this build and it will not return.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Mod Organizer no longer load mods into Skyrim in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the last flighted build sometimes green screening with a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION in win32kfull.sys.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the WIN+X menu sometimes unexpectedly missing the accelerator key underline hints.
So, there you have it! Happy downloading, and please remember to keep your feedback coming to Microsoft via the Feedback Hub! Also feel free to drop us a comment below and let us know how the new build experience is going for you!Further reading: Build 17004, Microsoft, RS4, Skip Ahead, Windows 10, Windows Insider