Microsoft has released a new update for PowerToys, bringing version 0.33.1 for all Windows 10 users. This release packs plenty of notable features and changes, such as a new “onboarding experience” to help new users get started with the PowerToys suite of tools.
— Clint Rutkas (@ClintRutkas) March 4, 2021
In addition, there are some bug fixes, localization improvements, and a new plugin manager for the PowerToys Run utility. The File Explorer is also getting some enhancements for SVG previews.
Here’s the full list of improvements and fixes in PowerToys version 0.33.1:
- Updated overview links to be language agnostic to the docs site.
- 'First time load' experience. The hope is a quick, light way to learn about basic functionality. We have some more work to do and want to also use the same framework for teaching about updates as well.
- Localization corrections
- Adjusted editor UX based on feedback. Thanks @niels9001!
- New options to change zone activation algorithm.
- Improved how SVG images are previewed in the preview pane, thanks@Drakula44!
- @Aaron-Junker has created a proof of concept for using Monaco editor for previewing dev files. This will enable over 125+ file types.
- Plugin Manager now is in settings. You can directly turn on / off, include items in general search, and change the action key! Thanks @htcfreek for the great feedback!
- Improved support for additional window managers by abstracting out shell process calls. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Fix for PT Run registering the hotkey on non-supported OS versions.
~will now act as the user home directory in Folder plugin. Thanks @davidegiacometti
- Service plugin has adjusted status messages
Video Conference Mute (Experimental)
- Adjust video muting to leverage DirectShow.
- Goal is to have 0.34 experimental release week of March 8th.
- When restarting as admin, the settings now will reopen. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Investigation on how we'll accomplish Settings with the XAML Island and WPF app.
For those who are waiting for the Video Conference Mute tool, which is currently in preview, the wait will be slightly longer. The firm noted that it is expected to launch in the upcoming experimental release at some point next week.
“We'll be doing a 0.34 experimental release week of March 8th. We feel we are near ready to add in Video Conference mute into the stable release pending feedback from the pending 0.34 experimental release,” said Clint Rutkas, Program manager lead on PowerToys.
As usual, the latest version of PowerToys should automatically be downloaded, or you can also download this update from GitHub if you prefer to download the tool manually.