After a busy Build 2018 conference last week, Microsoft today released Windows 10 Insider Preview build 17672 to the desktops of Skip Ahead and Fast Ring Insiders across the world. This build is fairly minor compared to prior releases, but there are still some changes you need to take note of before installing. Here's what you need to know.
- The Windows Security Center (WSC) service now requires antivirus products to run as a protected process to register. Products that have not yet implemented this will not appear in the Windows Security UI, and Windows Defender Antivirus will remain enabled side-by-side with these products.
- For testing purposes, you can disable this new behavior in Windows Insider builds by creating the following registry key and rebooting the device. This key will be removed as we get closer to release.
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Feature
DisableAvCheck (DWORD) = 1
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC:
- We fixed an issue where right-clicking to copy text in Microsoft Edge didn’t work in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue with structuredquery.dll resulting some users experiencing a cyclical explorer.exe crash.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the two-finger gesture to dismiss all notifications not working in the Action Center.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Korean IME sometimes entering duplicate characters when typing into text fields in certain websites in Microsoft Edge.
You can now refresh the Books pane in Microsoft Edge using a pull gesture.
- When you pin books to Start from Microsoft Edge you will now see a live tile that cycles between the book cover and your current completion progress.
- When printing PDFs from Microsoft Edge, you’ll find a new option to choose the scale of your print out (Actual size, or Fit to page).
- We’ve updated Timeline so that in addition to seeing the number of available tabs to restore associated with a particular Sets activity, you can now cycle through them.
- We’ve made some adjustments to improve the quality of audio when recording clips using the game bar (WIN+G). Thanks, everyone who shared feedback about this – please take a moment to try it out in today’s build and let us know how it goes.
- We fixed an issue that could result in apps sometimes not fully maximizing to the top of the screen.
- We fixed an issue resulting in certain devices not being able to wake from sleep in the last two flights (just showed a black screen).
- When you hover over the leaf icon in Task Manager’s Status column, you will now see a tooltip describing what it means (this app is suspending processes to help improve system performance).
- Building on our work from Build 17639, in addition to showing Bluetooth battery level in Settings for supported devices, you will now see a notification when one of those devices is low on battery.
- For our WSL fans out there: if you’ve enabled WSL, you’ll now see an option to “Open Linux Shell here” when you Shift + Right-click on the whitespace of a File Explorer folder.
- We’ve introduced preview support for same-site cookies in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11.
As you can tell, there's not much to look forward to with this build, but there are plenty of fixes which should make things more stable for you going forward. Microsoft is also highlighting some of the behind the scenes Windows Insider action at Build 2018, so be sure to give their blog post a closer read and check out the Insider Dev Tour if you're interested!