While the Windows 10 File Explorer comes with a file extraction functionality of sorts, a dedicated app or plugin has been the go-to for many users, in particular for those “hard to” uncompressed shared files.
The leading name in file compression WinZip has joined a string of developers creating Universal Windows apps by adding its own WinZip Universal to the Windows Store today. Spotted by our friends over at Neowin, users can head to the Windows Store to download WinZip Universal for both PC/Tablets and mobile devices enabling them access to 26 different compression file formats as well as newly built-in sharing features.
The app is free to download, but also offers a one-year in-app subscription service for as low as $7.99 that accounts for both a PC and mobile download of the software. Other features of the new WinZip Universal app include:
- Full support for the Windows 10 operating system, including PCs, tablets, and phones
- Open .zip, RAR, 7z, .zipx plus 22 more formats, including .gz, .bz, .ISO, .CAB, .B64, .BHX, .BZ, .BZ2, .CAB, .HQX, .LHA and .LHZ, .MIM, .TAZ, .TBZ, .TBZ2 .TGZ, .TZ, .UU, .UUE, .XXE, and .Z
- Save to .zip and .zipx formats and secure confidential files from prying eyes, whether they are sent by email, shared online or stored on your system, with WinZip Universal’s military-grade encryption
- Ask your assistant to zip/unzip files for you-WinZip Universal works with Cortana
- Interact seamlessly with your DropBox, Google Drive, Box and OneDrive cloud services. Easily upload or download files, zip and encrypt before posting, and share links to files from your own email
- Easily send large files by email by zipping your attachments first or by using the integrated ZipShare file delivery service
- Securely share any type of file and rich content on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter using seamless integration with ZipShare
- Deliver zipped files to your contacts through email, social media or other Windows 10 apps using the Windows ‘Share file with app’ option from the WinZip ‘Share’ button
- Secure any files you send to mobile devices with WinZip’s password protection
- Experience super easy-to-use Microsoft Office tab-style interface with touch-friendly features
- Quickly see the content of very large zip files even those containing hundreds of files with the optimized user interface
- Drag files from Explorer and drop them on WinZip Universal to quickly add them to a zip file
WinZip Universal is offering a robust set of features right out of the gate for a newly released UWP app. As a growing list of developers become increasingly comfortable with the API’s of the Universal platform, users should start to see even more functionality built into apps in the coming months.
Interested users can head over to the Windows Store today to give WinZip a spin on either their PC, tablet, smartphone or all three for free.