As part of Patch Tuesday for the month of October 2014, Microsoft has announced that the Surface Pro 3 will receive a firmware update ‘in the coming weeks.’ Microsoft typically rolls out firmware updates for the Surface tablets on Patch Tuesday, but it looks like this month will be an exception.
“We will release an update for Surface Pro 3 in the coming weeks to further improve Wi-Fi connectivity and include other fixes,” Microsoft stated on the official Surface Pro 3 update history webpage. The Surface Pro 2 and the original Surface Pro did not receive any firmware updates this month.
Microsoft rolled out a minor update to the Surface Pro 3 earlier this month, which enabled ‘additional upcoming configuration options’ with the Surface Pen. Subsequently, Microsoft released the official Surface Hub app which allows you to adjust the pressure sensitivity of the pen.
The Surface 2 received a firmware update, addressing battery issues and overall reliability. Here is the official change log, courtesy of the Surface 2 update history webpage:
- Surface 2 UEFI update (v4.22.500) addresses case where the battery drains under the 0% level and will not charge.
- System Aggregator Firmware update (v1.0.51500.0) increases the overall reliability and compatibility with a Surface Pro Type Cover.
- Surface Platform Power Driver update (v2.0.716.0) adjusts the minimum charge current to address the case where the battery drains under the 0% level and will not charge, and enhances the overall system stability.
- Surface Accessory Device update (v2.0.671.0) enhances the user experience with a Surface cover.
- Audio and Display driver set (v220.127.116.1122) improves sound and video display performance, and resolves the case where a display driver caused system instability on resuming the system from sleep.
- Surface Cover Click (v2.0.643.0) update enhances the user experience when connecting/disconnecting a Surface Pro Type Cover.
- Surface Type Cover Filter Device (v2.0.682.0) adds support for a Japanese Surface Pro Type Cover on non-Japanese Surface 2 models.
Not surprisingly, there are no firmware updates for the original Surface RT. Head over to Windows Update to snag these firmware updates.