Minecraft Discovery Update comes to Pocket, Windows 10 Editions
Minecraft’s next update for Windows 10 and Pocket Edition is finally here with the Discovery Update. Announced two months ago, the update, based on the Exploration Update for PC, bumps Minecraft up to 1.1 with new adventures, animals, and items to explore.
Starting with the new Cartographer village NPC, you’ll be ready to set out on a quest to claim treasures from the Woodland Mansion. Of course, there’d be no reason to collect treasure if you didn’t have Shulker boxes, the best way to store your items across realms. Or you could just carry it around with you with Llama caravans. Put the story together in the long-awaited Adventure Mode to create custom games and scenarios to share!
Here is the full changelog:
- Minecraft Marketplace
- Skyrim Mash-up Pack
- Shulker Boxes
- Woodland Mansions
- Cartographer Villager & Exploration Maps
- Illagers (Evokers & Vindicators)
- Concrete & concrete powder
- Glazed terracotta blocks
- Dyeable beds (and you can jump on them, too!)
- Iron and Gold tools can now be smelted into Iron Nuggets and Gold Nuggets
- Adventure Mode
- New game rules: DoFireTick, DoMobSpawning, DoTileDrops, MobGriefing, DoEntityDrops, KeepInventory, DoMobLoot, DoDaylightCycle
- New achievements
- Mending & Frostwalking enchantments
- Totem of Undying
- Off-hand slot (only works for arrows & Totem of Undying)
- Changes in world generation. Seeds which contain pre-generated structures such as ocean monuments & igloos may generate those structures in different places now
- The sun now rises in the East and sets in the West
- CanPlaceOn & CanDestroy are now supported in the ‘/replaceitem’ command
- Dampened the vertical look speed when using a controller
- Improved navigation of the settings screen when using a controller
- The X button can now be used to clear the hotbar on the Creative inventory screen when using a controller
- Improved controller input when selecting items on the Creative inventory screen
- Maps are now numbered so you can tell which map is which!
- Empty Maps with Compasses have been renamed to Locator Maps to distinguish between Empty Maps without Compasses
- New sleeping animation slowly lowers you into serene slumber
- Updated color palette for wool blocks and carpet
- Stained clay blocks have been renamed to terracotta
- Improved lead rope physics
- Cave Spiders now attack with poison time based on difficulty
- Worlds will now show a screenshot preview in the main menu
- 1 melon block can now be crafted into 9 melon slices
- 1 cobweb can now be crafted into 9 strings
- Eating animation can now be seen in third-person camera
- /locate command will now find more structures
- The screen safe area can now be adjusted in Video settings
- Add-Ons: movement properties are now data-driven
Woah, woah, woah! There are far too many fixes to list here! My favourites:
- Good news for Elytra fliers – You can now shoot yourself with a bow and arrow (and can splash yourself with potions again, too!)
- Horses now make sounds when they jump! Neeeeigh!
Behind the scenes, Minecraft for Windows 10 and Pocket Edition are now localized in a list of new languages, making it more expansive as ever. Turkish, Polish, Indonesian, Ukranian, Greek, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Finnish, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak and Czech are now all supported.
The biggest highlight of the Discovery Update, however, is the addition of the Minecraft Marketplace, the new way for players to browse and add content into their game. Learn more about that here.