It's another Tuesday, which means a new Microsoft Edge Dev build is now available to download. Coming in at version 87.0.658.0, this latest build introduces some translation improvements, as well as the usual reliability and bug fixes. Here's what you need to know.
First, the new features. Here, Microsoft added the ability to translate selected text on a page. Also new is the settings ability to never translate a particular site. You can have a look below for some of the other new features.
- Added a management policy to Configure Speech Recognition. Note that updates to documentation and administrative templates are still needed.
- Obsoleted the management policy to Enable Deprecated Web Platform Features.
Now, for the reliability improvements and changed behaviors. Here, Microsoft fixes an important bug where opening Edge might cause a device to Bluescreen. They also fixed an issue where dragging items into a Collection sometimes crashes the Collections pane. Microsoft also fixed an issue where there is sometimes blank space between tabs or between the new tab button and the last tab. Have a look below for some other fixes, and check the full list here at Microsoft.
- Fixed a crash when opening a website installed as an app.
- Fixed a crash when Password Monitor shows an alert.
- Fixed an issue where using certain accessibility features like Narrator sometimes causes tabs to crash on certain versions of Windows 10.
- Fixed an issue where Edge sometimes opens many command prompt windows with ERROR: file_io_win.cc(180).
- Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes doesn’t start reading from the current location in PDFs.
- Fixed an issue where the profile image on the Taskbar shortcut doesn’t match the image in the browser.
- Fixed an issue where searching on the History management page sometimes doesn’t work.
As usual, the known issues are the same as the past couple of weeks. Microsoft hasn't gotten to fixing these yet. You'll find the same problems with ad-blocking extensions and YouTube, extensions crashing, Kaspersky Internet Suite, favorites being duplicated, Edge windows becoming black, and wobbling when scrolling. Let us now forget the issue with multiple audio output devices, too.
In related news, Microsoft is introducing a new web screenshot capture tool to Edge. Microsoft is also announcing the general availability of Edge Dev Tools for VS Code and has a piece up about the performance improvements thanks to a multi-process architecture.