Build 78.0.256.2 for the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel has a few cool additions and changes to the in-development web browser but it looks like its roll-out has been delayed until next week due to some technical issues.
“We’re experiencing some trouble rolling out this week’s update,” Microsoft’s Josh Bodner said in a post on the Edge Insider website. “Since it’s already Thursday, it’s very likely we aren’t going to have an update this week. I’ll update this post again when we’re able to successfully release the build.”
Once this build does roll out, it’ll add the new Collections feature, support for native Windows 10 sharing, a new button for Favorites, a Word export option for Collections, and improved syncing with the mobile versions of the Edge browser.
Here’s the full release notes:
Apps, Edge Insider, Microsoft, Microsoft Edge, Windows 10
Some other major new functionality includes:
- Collections is now available in the Dev Channel!
- Added a button on the address bar to access favorites, as requested by you: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Top-feedback-summary-for-August-29/m-p/829765.
- Added support for Windows 10’s native Share functionality.
- Enabled the built-in abusive ad blocker that was added to Chromium last year (for more information, see https://blog.chromium.org/2018/11/further-protections-from-harmful-ad.html).
- Added the ability to export Collections to Word.
- Added a policy to use two separate site lists for IE mode and standalone IE instead of having them share the same list.
- Enabled caret browsing in IE mode windows.
- Fixed some issues where the browser is unable to load any webpages.
- Fixed an issue where two-finger scrolling on the trackpad sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the browser crashes shortly after launching.
- Fixed an issue where Edge will crash on startup when used in certain languages.
- Fixed an issue where the browser will crash on Mac when signed in with a work or school account.
- Fixed an issue where Netflix videos don’t play due to a “Missing Component” with error code M7354.
- Fixed an issue where installing extensions from the Microsoft Edge extension store failed with the error “Package is invalid: CRX_REQUIRED_PROOF_MISSING”.
- Fixed a crash when opening an Application Guard window.
- Fixed an issue where webpages won’t load in an Application Guard window.
- Fixed an issue where Tracking Prevention causes some websites to fail to load properly.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to navigate forward/back using the swipe gesture in situations where navigation isn’t possible leads to broken scrolling.
- Fixed an issue where the Read Aloud bar sometimes disappears unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where two-finger scrolling on the trackpad occasionally stops working.
- Fixed an issue where the first run experience doesn’t properly import data on older versions of Windows.
- Improved the success rate of data importing from other browsers.
- Improved the contrast between active and inactive tabs and windows for better visibility.
- Fixed an issue where the wrong search provider keyword sometimes appears in the address bar when multiple search providers are installed.
- Fixed an issue where downloaded files sometimes aren’t able to be deleted from the pop-up downloads UI.
- Fixed an issue where the link to go to the site permissions Settings page from the Apps page context menu doesn’t work on Mac.
- Fixed an issue where the Global Media Controls button that came from upstream Chromium is present even when there are no tabs with media on them.
- Fixed an issue where the … menu in some Settings pages (for example, site permissions) opens offscreen.
- Fixed an issue where the PDF toolbar sometimes doesn’t appear.
- Changed the Administrator Mode popup to show in fewer scenarios.
- Fixed an issue where the dialog to restart the browser due to diagnostic data settings changes appears multiple times during a single browsing session.
- Fixed an issue where the active tab upon startup is sometimes a pinned tab instead of a new tab.
- Fixed an issue where images sometimes don’t get saved when exporting a Collection.
- Fixed an issue where images weren’t properly rendering in saved Collections.
- Fixed an issue where first-run options are shown that don’t apply to the current user.
- Fixed an issue where search engines changed by extensions aren’t properly shown in the address bar dropdown.
- Fixed an issue where shortcuts to IE mode sites couldn’t be created on the Taskbar.
- Fixed an issue where the download UI isn’t properly shown in an IE mode tab.
- Fixed an issue where using multiple IE mode tabs in a single session sometimes leads to all the IE mode tabs after the first one not persisting settings set in the first one.
- Fixed an issue where the Find on Page search box is too small for certain window sizes.
- Updated UI in the F12 Dev Tools to properly show Edge’s UA string instead of a generic placeholder.
- Fixed an issue where some strings in the F12 Dev Tools weren’t localized.
- Fixed an issue where using the F12 Dev Tools in some languages displays everything in English instead of the selected language.
- Fixed an issue where profile pictures for work/school account users sometimes are missing.
- Fixed an issue where adding and deleting profiles sometimes leads to an extra profile being left over.
- Fixed an issue where the API to determine if Windows is in S mode returns the wrong value.
- Disabled via a flag the Global Media Control button that was recently added to Chromium.
- Removed the prompt to restart Edge to install an update from Application Guard windows.
- Removed the profile sign-in button on Application Guard windows.
- Removed the default theme alert in the F12 Dev Tools.
- Removed some non-functional context menu items from Reading View.
- Temporarily disabled zoom functionality from the … menu when in Reading View.