Late this morning, Microsoft released Windows 10 Insider Preview build 17110 to those in the Fast Ring. This is not a major release, but it still packs some new features for Enterprise Customers. Here's what you need to know about the new features before you install on your PC.
- Enterprises can now run custom actions during feature update: In RS4, we are adding a new feature that will enable your enterprise to run your own custom actions/scripts synchronously with setup. Setup will execute custom actions during two update phases controlled by using preinstall.cmd or precommit.cmd:
Pre-install: This would be just before all the system and device compatibility scans run.
Pre-commit: This would be just before the system reboots into the offline phase.
- Setup also migrates the scripts for future updates. In the event of an update failure or rollback, a failure.cmd script can be used to perform custom operations or undo actions of previous custom scripts.
- Enterprises can run post rollback scripts in system context: Current /postrollback scripts run if the first user logs in after the rollback has admin privileges. We received feedback from several enterprises that most of their employees don’t have admin privileges. With RS4, we are enabling /postrollback scripts to run in admin context or system context.
- We are not changing the behavior of the existing /postrollback switch. We have added a new switch /postrollbackcontext “xxx” to be used along with /postrollback switch to specify in which context should the scripts be executed.
- Docker for Windows users, we are flighting the matching Windows container images of Server Core and Nano Server to the Docker Hub for continued testing and feedback. Thank you for all the great feedback and please keep it coming
The Spring release of Redstone 4 is fast approaching, you won't expect many new or major features in the next set of upcoming builds. Happy downloading, and do let us know if you noticed anything else new in this build by dropping us a comment below.