Microsoft is rolling out the Windows 10 RS5 build 17672 to Fast and Skip Ahead Insiders today, and this time the new bits don’t bring a lot of new features. The release notes only mention some Windows Security Improvements as well as quality fixes for Microsoft Edge, Timeline, Game Bar and more.
As usual, this new build also comes with a list of known issues, this time affecting Windows Mixed Reality, Narrator, Remote Desktop, as well as Windows Sets. You can read the full details below:
- After completing the Windows Mixed Reality First Run experience, OOBE is black. Motion Controllers are also not recognized in exclusive apps. If you need your Mixed Reality experience to be working it is advised you not take this build until these issues are fixed.
- We’re aware of an issue that causes Narrator to read extra text when invoking Alt + Tab, and we’re working on a fix.
- If you complete the setup for a Windows Mixed Reality headset on this build, the headset will remain black until it is unplugged and reconnected to the PC.
- We’re making progress on our work to support dark theme in File Explorer and the Common File Dialog, and you’ll see improvements in this build, but we still have some work to do.
- Insiders who use Remote Desktop, project their screen, or have multiple monitors may experience explorer.exe hangs on this build. This issue can also lead to Microsoft Edge hangs.
Known issues for Sets & Office
- Sets UX for Office Win32 desktop apps is not final. The experience will be refined over time based on feedback.
- The top of some Win32 desktop app windows may appear slightly underneath the tab bar when created maximized. To work around the issue, restore and re-maximize the window.
- Closing one tab may sometimes minimize the entire set.
- Tiling and cascading windows, including features like “View Side by Side” in Word, will not work for inactive tabs.
- The Office Visual Basic Editor window will currently be tabbed but is not intended to be in the future.
- Opening an Office document while the same app has an existing document open may cause an unintended switch to the last active document. This will also happen when closing a sheet in Excel while other sheets remain open.
- Local files or non-Microsoft cloud files will not be automatically restored, and no error message will be provided to alert the user to that fact.
The new Windows Sets experience in Redstone 5 remains a work in progress for now, and Joe Belfiore made it clear back at Build 2018 that the feature won’t ship until the team thinks it’s great. The same obviously applies to Your Phone, which still isn’t functional in the preview build 17672. For now though, let us know in the comments if you encounter other issues after installing this latest RS5 build.Further reading: build 17672, Windows 10, Windows Insider