The Android version of the SmartGlass app has hit Google Play, following on from the Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8 release earlier in the week. The app is available free of charge and allows for second-screen action on Android phones and tablets when used in conjunction with the Xbox One.
There’s a lot of potential for SmartGlass. Compatible apps and games can push additional content to the Android app. On one hand it is a fairly simple affair that can be used to browse your achievements and messages, it can be used in a variety of ways to add a new dimension to your Xbox One experience.
The app description points out that it is useful in the living room:
- Navigate your Xbox One console using your device’s keyboard and touch
- Control your media and set top box with the SmartGlass remote control
- Browse the web on your TV using your mobile device
- Enhance what you are watching or playing with SmartGlass companions
- Increase performance with faster connections and reliability
But can also be used when you are further away from your Xbox One:
- Search, browse, and pin content to play on your Xbox One console
- Track achievements, get game help, message friends, and watch game DVR clips
There’s still time to get the app installed before your console arrives — grab yourself a copy of the app by hitting the download link below.Android, Microsoft, Xbox One