Windows XP share drops while Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 see a combined share of 11.3%
The month of March has come to a close and its now time to take a look at how well Microsoft’s Windows operating system performed in terms of market share. As of March 2014, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 now have a combined market share of 11.3%, which is an increase from February’s 10.68% share. Windows XP, on the other hand, has dropped in share.
According to new data from Net Applications, Windows 7 continues to be the top Windows operating system with a 48.77% share. Windows XP, which loses support in just a few days, has dropped to 27.69% share. Windows XP held a 29.53% share the previous month.
Windows 8, on the other hand, has a 6.41% market share as of March 2014. Windows 8.1 accounts for 4.89%. Combined, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 now own a 11.3% share. Comparatively, Windows 8 fell from the 6.62% it possessed in January, to 6.38% in February while Windows 8.1 managed a significant spike from 3.94% in January to 4.30% in February. Windows Vista is at the bottom of the charts, with a 2.99% share.
Microsoft is expected to unveil Windows 8.1 Update 1, which adds numerous new improvements to non-touch users, during the Build 2014 Developer Conference. That event begins April 2nd.Further reading: Microsoft, Windows 8.1, Windows XP