With Microsoft's BUILD developer conference going on this week, it seems only fitting that developers and Insiders are given a new Windows 10 operating system build to play with.
Despite little to no mention of Windows 10 during the opening day keynote and few developer sessions focusing on new and yet-to-be-released developments, the Windows team remains steadfast and delivered preview 18894 to Insiders.
Here are the notes on what's been fixed and what users need to be on the lookout for.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue resulting in scrolling with the mouse wheel or touchpad not working reliably across the system in the last few flights.
- We fixed an issue where opening the Memory Integrity page in Windows Security would crash the app.
- We fixed an issue where the Windows Update icon in taskbar system tray is not high DPI optimized.
- We fixed a recent issue where the “Add someone else to this PC” window would crash if an MSA-attached user would try to add a local user to the PC.
- We fixed a typo in the WIN+(period) kaomoji section category names.
- We fixed a race condition that could result in users getting stuck with an outdated version of the search relevancy logic, impacting subsequent search results.
- We fixed an issue where Start menu wasn’t launching if the “continue experiences on this device” group policy was “disabled”.
- We fixed an issue where navigating using Narrator + R command got stuck in PowerPoint Edit View.
- Narrator no longer reads “null” after each command listed in the Narrator + F2 list.
- We fixed a problem where Narrator was at low volume and could not be increased.
- Due to an OS bug, the Your Phone app will not work on this build (20H1 Build 18894). This issue does not impact the Your Phone app if you are in the Slow and Release Preview rings. We expect to have this issue resolved in the next flight to the Fast ring. Appreciate your patience.
- There has been an issue with older versions of anti-cheat software used with games where after updating to the latest 19H1 Insider Preview builds may cause PCs to experience crashes. We are working with partners on getting their software updated with a fix, and most games have released patches to prevent PCs from experiencing this issue. To minimize the chance of running into this issue, please make sure you are running the latest version of your games before attempting to update the operating system. We are also working with anti-cheat and game developers to resolve similar issues that may arise with the 20H1 Insider Preview builds and will work to minimize the likelihood of these issues in the future.
- Some Realtek SD card readers are not functioning properly. We are investigating the issue.
- If you use remote desktop to connect to an enhanced session VM, taskbar search results will not be visible (just a dark area) until you restart searchui.exe.
- We’re investigating reports that on certain devices if fast startup is enabled, night light doesn’t turn on until after a restart. (Note: The problem will occur on a “cold” reboot or power off / power on. To work around if night light doesn’t turn on, use Start > Power > Restart.)
- There’s a noticeable lag when dragging the emoji and dictation panels.
- Tamper Protection may be turned off in Windows Security after updating to this build. You can turn it back on.
- Some features on Start Menu and in All apps are not localized in languages such as FR-FR, RU-RU, and ZH-CN.
- In the Ease of Access settings, selecting a color filter may not take effect right away unless color filters option is turned off and back on again.
- The IME candidate window for East Asian IMEs (Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and the Japanese IME) may not open sometimes. We are investigating the issue. In the meantime, going to Task Manager and ending the “WindowsInternal.ComposableShell.Experiences.TextInput.InputApp.exe” task from the from the Details tab should unblock you if you experience this issue.
- We are aware of an issue with the Bopomofo IME where the character width is suddenly changed to Full width from Half width and are investigating.
Known issues for Developers
If you install builds from the Fast ring and switch to either the Slow ring or the Release Preview ring, optional content such as enabling developer mode will fail. You will have to remain in the Fast ring to add/install/enable optional content. This is because optional content will only install on builds approved for specific rings.
So with the addition of a new File Explorer experience for some, others will need to be on the lookout for issues with the Your Phone app as well as some SD cards being affected by updating to preview 18894.
Happy downloading, Insiders!