The Weather Channel is an American basic cable and satellite television channel that is owned by The Weather Company, providing national and local weather forecasts. The app for Windows Phone just received a major update, adding a plethora of new features.
“We learn a lot from our fans, and we’ve listened carefully in order to deliver the best weather app on Windows Phone,” said Nikki Santoro, vice president of product and design for The Weather Channel. “This app is not only powered by the most accurate forecast data, but it also pairs a more streamlined look and feel with contextually relevant tools that help users plan their day.”
Designed and developed for true weather enthusiasts, the app’s new design and interface makes it easier than ever to see the weather. The app also allows you to report your local conditions, similar to how the Waze app allows you to report traffic conditions. Here are the key features of the app:
- New live tile – Opt for a live tile to follow you for current weather wherever you are, or also select specific locations to keep tabs on their conditions.
- Find weather faster – A beautiful new design and simple interface makes the app easy to use.
- Learn the effect of weather – A simple phrase on the app home screen explains what differing conditions mean for you, ie. “occasional rain likely to begin at 4 p.m.”
- Smoother radar maps – The radar map loads faster and more smoothly, with past and future radar and map layers such as cloud, radar, water temperature, wind speed, snow cover or more. You can also active hurricane tracking and view severe weather alerts for storm tracking or tornado activity.
- Discover deeper, more engaging content – With improved navigation, swipe sideways for your saved locations. A vertical scroll unveils current conditions, hourly and 10-day forecasts, radar, video, news and more.
- Get the info you need – Get in-depth current details, such as “feels like” temperature, wind, dew point, humidity, visibility, pressure, UV index, and sunrise and sunset times. Also find a 36-hour summary, hourly details out to 48 hours, and a 10-day forecast.
- Become your own weather forecaster – Introducing Social Weather on Android, the app lets you report and share your weather conditions or see what others in your area are saying about your current weather. Help improve the forecast – With Social Weather reports, you can help find and improve the forecast for hard-to-predict spots. The Weather Channel includes data points from proprietary models, official government sources worldwide, Weather Underground’s network of 60,000+ personal weather stations, and now crowd-sourced weather reports via mobile app.
- Prepare for pollen, no matter the season – Keep up with the latest pollen counts and information, including direct pollen alerts available.
- Plan for ski season – Get powder reports, lift schedules and more with the ski report for relevant nearby resorts.
- Stay safe in severe weather – During extreme events, your entire app will change to tell you the full story.
- Be alerted when it matters most – Get notifications for severe weather and rain in your area, or high pollen counts in locations that matter to you.
- Get global language support – For the first time, The Weather Channel App for Windows Phone is available in 40 languages.
We’ve had the pleasure of testing this new design during the beta phase and not only does the app look amazing, but it has all sorts of cool features. This new design for Windows Phone matches the new look for weather.com and The Weather Channel apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can snag the app via the download link below — it’s free.