It’s now been a month since Microsoft officially released its Windows 10 Mobile operating system for select older Windows 8.1 phones, but as Microsoft chose not to deliver the update to 50% of devices many Windows Phone fans have been left in the cold. Precisely, all devices featuring either an old Snapdragon S4 Pro processor (including the high-end Lumia 920, 925 and 1020) or just 512MB of Ram are not eligible for the update. Those users can still install Windows 10 Mobile on their phone if they join the Windows Insider program, but they should be aware that unsupported devices are not allowed to install Redstone builds and won’t be able to receive the Windows 10 Mobile anniversary update either.
But Microsoft is bringing some good news to some of you who missed the Windows 10 Mobile bandwagon. If you currently own a high-end second-generation Lumia such as the Lumia 920, 925 or 1020, the US Microsoft Store is currently running a trade-in program that can give you up to $150 in exchange of your old handset to buy a premium Lumia 950 or 950XL.
The trade-in program is available starting today in Microsoft local stores as well as Microsoft online store in the United States (including Puerto Rico) and Canada. If you want to proceed to the online trade-in, the process is pretty straightforward: you will first have to use an online tool to determine your trade-in value, then you will need to send your used Windows phone to Microsoft. The company will send you back an email with a promo code (valid until July 30, 2016) that you will be able to use to get your discount on a brand new Lumia 950 or 950 XL.
Microsoft shared additional details on the dedicated website:
- To be eligible for trade-in, you must own the qualifying device, device must power on battery must hold charge and not be required to be plugged in to operate, and be in fully functional, working condition without broken/missing components, cracked display/housing, liquid damage, modification(s) or have device warranty seal broken to be considered working.
- The device cannot be password protected, and include original chargers/accessories. Must contain hard drive. Any appraised value will be determined at trade-in.
- The discount cannot be transferred or otherwise redeemed for cash or gift cards. May not be combinable with other offers.
- Limit 1 trade-in per purchase, per customer, 3 purchases per household. Refunds will not include the $150 Trade-in bonus.
- Device being traded in must be shipped within 1 week of getting the online quote.
We think this trade-in program from Microsoft is very welcome, but the company is actually not the first to do it: Apple has been offering a similar trading program in select US Apple stores since at least a year, but the company also accepts select Android devices. While it’s great to see that Microsoft is not completely leaving behind owners of old Windows phones, we think the company should have accepted more Lumia models into this trade-in program.
The Lumia 950 and 950 XL would also be a nice upgrade for those who own either a Lumia 930 (which is way thicker than the Lumia 950) or a Lumia 1520 (which is harder to handle than the 950XL), right? And what about other recent Lumias? Please tell us in the comments what do you think of this trade-in program!Further reading: Deals, Lumia, Lumia 950, Lumia 950 XL, Microsoft, Microsoft Store, smartphone, Trade-Ins