Microsoft releases Windows 10 Redstone 5 build 17746 and ships Your Phone app to Release Preview Insiders
Windows Insiders on the Fast Ring are getting a second Redstone 5 build this week, and the latest one is the build 17746. This is another minor update with a couple of bug fixes and improvements, and the main highlight is the removal of ability to rename tabs that you’ve set aside in Microsoft Edge. After checking Insider feedback, the Windows Insider team said today that it’s now taking some time for “evaluating and finding the right approach” for this feature.
You can find more about the other fixes and known issues below:
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue where Narrator would incorrectly report some standard combo boxes as “editable combo box” instead of “combo box”.
- We fixed an issue in Windows Mixed Reality causing motion controllers to need to be re-paired after initial setup before appearing in the headset. If you still experience this, please file feedback in Feedback Hub.
- We fixed an issue for Japanese and German where when you reset your PC (from Settings > Update & Security > Recovery) the progress percent would be written in the middle of the string rather than at the end.
- We fixed an issue when using Italian as your display language where the Yes button to confirm file deletion would sometimes disappear when trying to delete a OneDrive file via File Explorer.
- Thanks for everyone that’s shared feedback about naming the tabs you’ve set aside in Microsoft Edge. We’re evaluating the right approach for this feature and in the meantime, it has been removed from RS5 builds.
- You may experience a bugcheck (GSOD) when logging out of your user profile or shutting down your PC.
- When you use the Ease of Access Make Text bigger setting, you might see text clipping issues, or find that text is not increasing in size everywhere.
- Narrator sometimes does not read in the Settings app when you navigate using Tab and arrow keys. Try switching to Narrator Scan mode temporarily. And when you turn Scan mode off again, Narrator will now read when you navigate using Tab and arrows key. Alternatively, you can restart Narrator to work around this issue.
The team also made an important announcement about its Windows 10 Your Phone app, which is now rolling out to all Windows Insiders on the Release Preview Ring. This app briefly available for all Windows 10 users a couple days ago, before Microsoft ultimately restriced it again to Fast Ring and Skip Ahead Insiders. Your Phone can only sync the most recent pictures taken on an Android phones as of today, but Microsoft is still planning to introduce the much-anticipated SMS syncing capabilities before the Redstone 5 update is released later this Fall.Further reading: build 17746, Redstone 5, RS5, Windows 10, Windows Insider, Your Phone