Microsoft news recap is a weekly feature highlighting the top Microsoft news stories of the past week. Sit back, grab some coffee, and enjoy the read!
Xbox to sponsor first ever Special Olympics video gaming tournament
The Special Olympics will have its first ever video gaming tournament at the USA Games in Seattle, later this summer. Microsoft's Xbox division will co-sponsor the tournament.
We’re excited to announce that we’re sponsoring the first gaming tournament with the Special Olympics at the USA Games later this summer in Seattle https://t.co/pm3GKwrrRD
— Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) May 22, 2018
Microsoft Garage expands with new facility at NERD in Cambridge, Mass.
Microsoft has opened its seventh Microsoft Garage facility, this time in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at the New England Research & Development Center. The facility provides 15,000 square feet of space, great for presentations, workshops, and more.
As GDPR approaches, Microsoft emphasizes their support for user privacy
With the EU enriching privacy regulations with a stronger set of rules, Microsoft has reaffirmed its commitment to user privacy. Despite the regulations only covering companies who deal with EU citizens, Microsoft has said it will support GDPR worldwide for all of its users.
Microsoft Launcher updated with Microsoft Rewards integration, new Visual Search feature
Microsoft has released an update for its Android launcher, Microsoft Launcher, with integration to its rewards program, Microsoft Rewards, as well as adding a new visual search feature which will help recognise things and people in images.
Here is the changelog:
- Microsoft Family: Parents with Microsoft Launcher can now view the last known location and activity report for their children across their Android phone, Windows PC and Xbox console! (Requires Android 4.4+ for parent devices and 5.0+ for child devices)
- Search: Introducing Visual Search. Use the camera function through the Launcher Search bar to capture images and intelligently recognize celebrities, landmarks, items, apparel and more!
- Microsoft Rewards (US only): Now Microsoft Rewards customers can see their Rewards balance in the Launcher Feed and earn points for using Bing Search through Microsoft Launcher;
- Wallpaper: UX improvements and bug fixes;
- UX improvements:
support deeting documents through Documents card;
welcome animation enhancements;
- Improvements to folder naming experience
- Additional crash/bug fixes
That's it for this week. We'll be back next week with more Microsoft news.