We all know how tough it can get when you’re looking for a particular thing, but you don’t have the right skills or words to search for it, especially when crafting a research paper. However, Microsoft’s latest tool, Search Progress, has arrived on the Microsoft Teams for Education platform to alleviate these challenges. These tools empower students by enhancing their online research skills, critical thinking abilities, and capacity to evaluate sources.
Search Progress provides real-time coaching to students during online research, helping them develop effective search queries and identify credible resources. Educators can also gain insights into students’ search methods to tailor teaching approaches.
- It helps students develop critical thinking skills by evaluating source credibility and promoting independent learning.
- It could help students distinguish between facts and opinions online, enabling them to make informed decisions.
- Search Progress in Teams Assignments helps students conduct better online research with an augmented Search Coach.
- Search Progress saves students’ work in real-time, allowing them to leave and return to their research as needed.
Search Coach launched earlier, offers a secure environment for students to practice creating effective search queries. By guiding students in crafting well-structured queries, the tool aims to help them avoid unreliable sources.
- It teaches students to query construction patterns to help them find reliable information faster, and these skills can be applied to other search engines.
- Coach in Teams for Education helps students develop online research skills with classroom and independent options.
- Search Coach helps educators teach students how to construct effective queries for online research.
- In an assignment’s “My work” section, students find Search Coach on the left and a source collection pane on the right.
Education Insight, which is coming soon:
- Educators receive metrics about the assignment and a breakdown of students’ search processes, highlighting filter usage and search queries.
- Education Insights features allow educators to dive deeper into data, compare student searches, identify learner progress, and tailor future assignments to class needs.
Microsoft also announced they are advancing Search Progress with export and citation features. Tablet support will expand in weeks, followed by phone support in months. These enhancements reflect Microsoft’s commitment to improving Search Progress.