If you’re the happy owner of a Microsoft Lumia 950 or 950 XL smartphone, then you’ve likely been missing the double tap wake functionality that’s been a part of Lumia devices since forever (and that some lucky 950 XL owners have already received). In addition, you’ve probably been unhappy with some of on-going connectivity and stability issues. If so, then today is your lucky day, as Microsoft is pushing out a firmware update that addresses those and more.
We are starting to rollout a new firmware update today for Lumia 950/950 XL: 01078.00053.16236.35xxx. Key improvements in this release include:
- Wi-Fi connectivity improvements, including fixes for Wi-Fi connection dropping randomly and Wi-Fi scan occasionally not returning any results.
- Support for double tap to wake enabled.
- Bluetooth connectivity improvements.
- Stability and reliability improvements.
- Camera improvements, including improved image and video quality, improved Auto-focus and fix for a problem that was causing slow motion capture to skip frames for some users.
- Cellular connectivity improvements, including fix for a problem that caused occasional network loss for some users.
- Audio quality improvements, including fix for a problem that caused voice call audio to get scrambled for some users.
The availability of the update may depend on your phone model, region or network service provider. Starting today, the update should become available for the first batch of phones and the remaining ones are expected to receive the update gradually.
Windows 10 is updating continuously, so make sure you follow all the update notifications that appear on your phone. To check for updates, you can also tap Settings > Update & security > Phone update > Check for updates. For more detailed update instructions and troubleshooting, see.
If you’re one of the lucky Lumia 950 or 950 XL owners in the right place and on the right carrier network to receive the firmware update immediately, then get that thing installed. Let us know in the comments what you think.