The Windows 10 engineering team and by association, Windows 10 Insiders, are nearing the finish line when it comes to the early August release of the famed Anniversary Update for the operating system.
As such, lead of the Windows 10 Insider program Dona Sarkar and the Windows team have issued another Insider release of the OS. A new build with version number 14393 has been released to Fast Ring Insiders for bother PC and Mobile and per usual, there are a few notes about what to expect.
When it comes to what’s been fixed in build 14393 for PC and Mobile, Insiders should expect:
Improvements and fixes for PC
- We have improved the reliability of Start, Cortana, and Action Center.
- You should now be able to mount iPods as USB mass-storage devices.
Improvements and fixes for Mobile
- We fixed an issue resulting in rapid battery drain when Visual Voicemail syncs voicemail messages on Dual SIM devices like the Lumia 950 XL.
- We also fixed an issue causing some battery drain on older devices like the Lumia 535, 640, 735, 830, 930 and Icon.
- We fixed the issue causing Voice Recorder to not show up consistently as an option for Call Recording. A app update was released last Friday that fixes this issue. Make sure you have the app version 10.1607.1931.0.
- We fixed several issues impacting Dual SIM capabilities. Using a device with two SIMs should work as it should.
As for what’s been broken or remains an issue when downloading and installing build 14393 to Insider devices:
Known issues for PC
- We are aware of certain cases in which Surface Books and Surface Pro 4’s may bug check (bluescreen) due to a camera driver issue. An updated driver will roll out via Windows Update soon that will fix this.
Known issues for Mobile
- We are continuing to investigate W-Fi issues on certain devices.
- Turning off Bluetooth can sometimes result in freeze, crash, or reset. See this forum post for more details.
- Wallet users are prompted for a PIN twice when using tap to pay from a locked phone. You can enter their PIN twice and tap as usual once the phone is unlocked. A fix for this will come as a Wallet app update via the Store.
- REMINDER: We have changed the backup format for Windows 10 Mobile devices to reduce the size of the backup stored in OneDrive. As a result, if you do a backup on a device running the latest Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds and move back to the released version of Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10586) and restore from your backup – your Start screen layout won’t restore and remain the default Start layout. Your previous backup also gets overwritten. If you need to go back to Build 10586 temporarily, once you are on Build 10586 you should disable backup, so it doesn’t overwrite the good backup from Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds. We will stop noting this going forward.
There it is, another button and polish release from the Windows team.
Head over to the Update Settings menu to grab the Fast Ring Insider preview today.
Happy downloading, Insiders!Further reading: Bluetooth, Cortana, Dona Sarkar, Microsoft, Mobile, PC, Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Windows 10 Insider