Some members of the Windows 10 Mobile community have been having some trouble trying to get their Windows 10 Mobile Mail app to accept their Gmail account. For those unfamiliar with the problem, those afflicted have found that, when attempting to add a new Gmail account to your Mail app, they’re told that their browser isn’t supported anymore and are no longer able to proceed. While the problem doesn’t affect users who have already synced up their Gmail account, it’s a pretty big inconvenience if you’re a new Windows 10 Mobile user, or just haven’t gotten around to syncing your accounts yet. Thankfully, there’s a workaround that’s appeared that could help out people with this problem.
1. Go to “Settings”.
2. Tap on “Accounts”.
3. Tap on “Your email and accounts”.
4. Tap “Add an account”.
5. Tap “Other accounts POP, IMAP”.
6. Enter your Email address and Password.
7. Tap the Sign in button.
8. Once you’re signed in Open the Edge browser.
9. Visit gmail.com and log in to your Google account.
10. Open the message with the subject “Blocked sign-in attempt for security reasons”
11. Tap on the Allow Access button.
12. You will be forwarded to the Google security setting page. “Under the Access for less secure apps”, select “Turn on”.
It’s a little bit involved, but the fix should get the job done if you’ve been trying to get past this problem for the past week. The amount of people affected by this problem may not be massive, but it’s still extremely important that Microsoft keeps their Mail app functioning with Gmail, which is one of the most used email services out there. Until Microsoft and Google get this problem fixed for good, you’re going to need to jump through the hoops of this workaround in order to get Gmail working for you on Windows 10 Mobile.Further reading: Gmail, Mail, Microsoft, Outlook Mail, Windows 10 Mobile