Right on schedule, Microsoft has just pushed out a new Edge Dev channel update, and this one is quite a big one. Now up to build 92.0.902.2, this week's release is bringing "lots to talk about" according to Microsoft. We've got you covered with a look at everything you need to know.
We'll start first with the new features in this release, as that is what matters most. Microsoft added a feature flag to enter Immersive Reader automatically when navigating to an eligible page. They also improved the "…" menu in PWAs and websites installed as apps to only show relevant options. Other new features include the final rollout of the new Extensions menu, Smart History Search, and Price History. Peek below for the less of the bigger features.
- Enabled by default the ability to pin the Favorites, History, etc. menus and have that state remembered, as well as the Collections popup menu.
- Added management policies to control if the setting for AAD Website SSO Using This Profile is Enabled, the Automatic HTTPS Default setting, if Internet Explorer Integration to Reload In IE Mode is Allowed, the Internet Explorer Integration Local Site List Expiration in Days, and if Local Browser Data Share is Enabled, which controls how Edge shares local user data with the Windows Search Indexer. Note that updates to documentation and administrative templates may not have happened yet.
As you'd expect, there are a ton of bug fixes in this release, too. These cover things such as problems where navigating to certain websites sometimes crashes the browser, and where typing into a password field sometimes crashes the browser. We have you covered with the full changelog below.
- Fixed an issue where new tabs crash as soon as they’re opened.
- Fixed a crash when closing a tab.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where closing a tab sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when opening InPrivate windows.
- Fixed a crash when installing a PWA or website as an app.
- Fixed a crash using Smart Copy or Web Capture.
- Fixed an issue where opening items in a Collection sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where searching for a setting sometimes crashes the Settings page.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where searching for settings causes the Settings page to go blank.
- Fixed an issue where the Settings page to view all permissions for a particular website is blank.
- Fixed a hang when opening the browser.
- Fixed an issue where AV1 videos sometimes don’t work.
If you're looking for the changed behaviors, there are a bunch again this week. Resolved are issues with playing videos on Amazon, tabs not restoring, sync not working on Linux, new windows not opening up in the Jumplist, and more. We included some of these below but check the full list here at Microsoft.
- Fixed an issue where tooltips sometimes get stuck onscreen.
- Fixed an issue where the list of trackers in the site info popup is blank.
- Fixed an issue where corrupted extensions can’t be repaired.
- Fixed an issue where favorites imported from another browser sometimes aren’t arranged correctly.
- Fixed an issue where importing certain types of data from other browsers fails.
- Fixed an issue where the “Switch to this tab” button in the address bar dropdown sometimes goes to the wrong tab.
- Fixed an issue where Web Capture or Smart Copy don’t automatically scroll when selecting content.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where keyboard shortcuts sometimes have missing or incorrect symbols.
- Fixed an issue where certain UI like the new tab button is unexpectedly colored red.
- Deprecated the management policy to control if Internet Explorer Integration Testing is Allowed.
- Obsoleted the management policy to Enable Sha 1 For Local Anchors.
- Disabled Kids Mode on Linux.
Just as we say every week, the known issues are the same as it has been in the past. There are no new ones to note, so we won't get into the specifics. What we will get into are some things like updates to the Web Capture tool, and Math Solver. You can learn more about these stories and more over at our Edge news hub.