Build 22.214.171.124 is now live for Edge Insiders on the Developer Channel. This latest build introduces the a variety of new features like the Read Aloud option for PDFs, SafeSearch for Bing searches, added security for payment card data, and support for the HEVC decoder.
Here’s the full release notes:
New features and behavior:
- Read Aloud enabled for PDFs
- Enable secure receipt of payment card data.
- Enable Application Reputation from SmartScreen by default
- Fix to support Dolby audio on Windows 8.
- Family safety feature has a flag in edge://flags.
- Direct launch for ClickOnce applications has been enabled.
- Support for HEVC decoder has been added.
- Enable Windows Defender Application Guard by default
- Now we sort extensions into “From Microsoft Store” and “From other store” categories
- Added “Recent” category in History management page
- Disabled InPrivate browsing for profiles managed by Family Settings
- Added tracking prevention under a flag in edge://flags.
- Added ability to Save pages as MHTML from reading view
- Work to support single sign on (SSO) and Azure Active Directory (AAD)
- Work to support DRM in PDF
- Localization into 11 languages (more coming)
- Enabling SmartScreen on macOS by default
- Enabling SafeSearch functionality for all Bing searches.
- Support for keyboard shortcuts for extensions.
Fixes for improved reliability:
- Fix for TouchBar on macOS when in YouTube fullscreen mode.
- Multiple fixes to sync engine
- Improved the crash reporting and uploading
- Fixed a crash on URL load
- Fixed an error when sync was turned off and on repeatedly.
- Fixed a crash when trying to write to a read only date attribute
- Fixed a crash when moving tab between two windows on separate screens.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when sync occurred before sign-on completed
- Fixed a crash that occurs on some navigation requests.
- Fixed a crash on pop-up windows
- Fixed crash on launch of Microsoft Edge of macOS Sierra and High Sierra versions
- Enabled ability to automatically repair extensions by default.
- Fixed an issue with guest more support on privacy and services settings page.
- Fixed crash on launch of Microsoft Edge of macOS
Fixes for improved behavior:
- Improvements to dark mode in various controls and pages
- Select the last used Chrome profile by default when importing from Chrome.
- Move multiple controls to Fluent UI
- Improve the cleanup logic in the installer
- Limit New Tab Page content for Education SKUs and Windows 10s.
- Fixes to new WebView control rendering
- Fixes for importing defaults from Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer
- Fixes for Reading View toolbar
- Fixes for importing pinned tabs and settings during First Run Experience
- Fix to use user preference for font size rather than preset default.
- Automatically move keyboard focus to address bar after First Run Experience
- Fixed the swipe gesture for History on macOS
- Fixed the sync icon badge on the user flyout.
- Audio offload fixes to improve performance and battery life.
The Dev Channel typically gets a new Microsoft Edge test build once a week but this will be the first one in a fortnight due to many Microsoft employees taking several days off last week for the July 4th celebrations.
The Canary Channel also received a new build today. That update added the light and dark theme settings to Microsoft’s upcoming new browser.
Are you an Edge Insider or are you simply waiting for the proper release of the new Edge browser? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below and then follow us on Twitter for more Microsoft app news.