Telegram has made a big name as one of the few apps with airtight security in the world of private messaging. With its reliance on usernames for connecting with new people, instead of phone numbers, it has become a popular choice for people interested in keeping their life private. While it’s not the end all be all of secure private communications, it does help users in keeping things under the radar.
With a steady increase in its user base, its no surprise that some of those users want to access Telegram through their desktop. And thankfully, like in all popular messaging platforms, you can also install and use Telegram from the comfort of your PC as well; this is specially useful if spend a lot of time in front of a screen. In this article, we’ve covered the exact steps you need to get Telegram up and running in your PC. Let’s get started.
How to install and use Telegram on your PC?
While initially the app was launched only for smartphone users, as the app has continued to soar in popularity, it’s no surprise that a few of those users would want to bring their messaging on to the desktop.
The Telegram desktop app has been available since 2014, with plenty of updates since then. To get started with using Telegram on your PC, follow the steps below:
- Go to the official Telegram website and download the telegram desktop app from there.
- Launch the .exe file and follow the on-screen instruction to complete your installation.
- All that’s left to do now is to connect your Telegram app to your smartphone. Here’s how:
- Launch the desktop app on your PC and the android app on your phone.
- On your smartphone, click on Menu -> Settings -> Devices.
- From there, click on Link Desktop Device. This will launch the QR code scanner, which you can use to scan the QR code in your desktop app.
- On the desktop app, click on START MESSAGING.
Now scan the QR code from the desktop. As soon as you do this, you will be logged in into your desktop app.
Alternatively, you can also rely on your phone number for logging in, in case this method fails. Here’s how:
On the desktop app, click on or log in using your phone number option from the main log-in menu. On the next screen, enter your phone number and hit Next.
You should’ve gotten a code on your Telegram number. Use this login code and enter it in the desktop app and hit Enter. You will mostly probably get logged in to your account as soon as enter the code in your desktop app.
Use Telegram in your PC with a Web App
Web apps, sometimes also called PWAs or Progressive Web Apps, have been on a steady rise since the past 10 years. It is no surprise, then, that Telegram has also come up with its own version of Web app back in 2014, with new iterations following in 2021.
You can use Telegram on your PC—along with almost all of its features—through the web app. Here’s how:
- Head to the official web app page at https://web.telegram.org/k/.
- Now open the QR scanner in your Telegram app. Go to main menu from the top and select Settings -> Devices -> Link Desktop Device.
- Now scan the QR code of your web app on your desktop, and you’ll get signed-in in a few seconds.
That’s it. This is how you can log in to your PC with the Telegram web app. When you’re done with your work, you can log out by simply by clicking on the Terminate All Other Sessions in the Devices section on your smartphone.
Using Telegram in your Windows PC
It’s no news that the modern computer worker spends much of their time sitting behind a screen—most often a desktop or a laptop. It makes sense, therefore, to have the liberty to bring your phone messages onto your machine. We showed how you can do this with Telegram, and hope it helped you in getting started with Telegram on your PC.