Microsoft is offering a new Xbox Game Pass plan with an interesting benefit. This time, though, it is only in preview for the Colombian and Ireland market, letting Xbox Game Pass users who live in these regions share their Game Pass Ultimate benefits with multiple people.
According to Microsoft, this new benefit will make it easy to play the best Game Pass games with friends and family. That's because Colombian and Irish gamers will be able to add up to four people to a subscription, with each of them having their own access to games.
Getting started with this offering in these markets is easy. Just purchase the Xbox Game Pass – Insider Preview” Game Pass plan in the Microsoft Store. There are some caveats though, which can be seen below.
- The people you share your membership with do not have to be Insiders but must reside in the same country as you. Enrollment is limited and will remain open while the offer is available.
- Joining the Game Pass – Insider Preview will convert the time remaining on your membership to time in the new plan, based upon the monetary value of the old membership.
- Conversion is not available for invited group members. Before joining a group, a group member can cancel their existing subscription or wait for it to expire. If they do not have a Microsoft account, invited friends and family will have to create a new Microsoft account and sign in with it to participate.
- Members with Xbox All Access won’t be able to participate in this preview.
- In Colombia, parts of the copy for the preview have not been localized and might be displayed in English.
Being a preview, there will also be some known issues. You might have errors when accepting invites to join the plan, upgrading twice within 24 hours might block you out. Other known issues are below.
- Microsoft account family members will not receive an email when automatically added to a group. Primary account holders can share benefits with Microsoft account family members automatically. We’re working on sending a confirmation email, and family members do not need to explicitly accept an invite to get access.
- Error while trying to purchase Xbox Game Pass – Insider Preview plan. If you’re blocked from purchase with this error code: PEX-CatalogAvailabilityDataNotFound, please report a problem following the steps outlined in the Insider subreddit here. You may be able to work around this by restarting the Microsoft Store and trying to purchase again.
- Subscription sharing “Get help” link on account.microsoft.com links to the support.xbox.com home page instead of a specific support article with sharing help.
- Invitation and group management related emails are currently only in English. We are working on additional languages for these emails.
If you follow Game Pass closely, you might recall that shared Xbox Game Pass plans were rumored to launch this year. So, it looks as though Microsoft has moved ahead with this, beta testing it outside of the United States first.