Microsoft released today the Windows Server Insider Preview Build 17046 to Windows Server Insiders, which is the second Redstone 4 build for Microsoft’s server OS. Interestingly, Microsoft says that this latest build brings no new features, and the company didn’t list any general fixes and improvements either. However, there a list of known issues, which you can read below:
- [NEW] Dynamic disks fail I/O with STATUS_INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST, resulting in failures to mount or format a volume. The contents of an affected volume will be available after updating to a build that fixes this issue, so reformatting and restoring data from backup is not necessary.
- Upgrading to recent pre-release builds of Windows Server is not currently an option. However, upgrading will be supported in the future.
- The Health Attestation CSP fails with error message 500 when attempting to get a certificate.
- Data corruption may occur on some NVM Express (NVMe) solid-state drives (SSD) if scatter-gather list (SGL) functionality is enabled.
- The base filtering engine (BFE) service may fail to start, which prevents the Windows Defender firewall (MpsSvc service) from starting.
- A system crash may occur because of a kernel security check failure (bug check 0x139) from a corrupt list entry in a deferred free pool.
- Hyper-V isolated containers will fail to start with an error of “The description string for parameter reference (%1) could not be found. (0x3ab6)”. Users can work around this by temporarily disabling our cloning optimization by creating a registry key and rebooting or restarting the vmcompute service.
- reg ADD “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtualization\Containers” /v TemplateVmCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0
- Although installation will continue successfully, the product key will not activate.
Windows Server Insiders can download the Windows Server Insider build 17046 on this page, where they can choose between the ISO and VHDX formats. As usual, let us know in the comments how is your experience with this latest build.Further reading: build 17046, Redstone 4, RS4, Windows Insider, Windows Server