Windows Phone GDR3, the next update for Windows Phone 8 devices, is expected to launch first on the Nokia Lumia 1520 this month. The update is said to include a number of additional improvements including support for 1080p displays, as well as improvements to the multitasking menu.
As we mentioned earlier today, GDR3 is currently in testing and will soon be pushed out to OEM's for testing. The update will first arrive on the Nokia Lumia 1520 before being pushed out to current devices, as GDR3 was really designed to support 1080p devices, which as of yet aren't available.
A four minute video has leaked showcasing the features in all its glory. We've embedded the video below for your viewing pleasure. Here is the breakdown of new features that are confirmed by the video:
- Custom sounds for text, voice mail, e-mail, and reminders (not seen in this build of GDR3)
- Restore over Wi-Fi when you reset your phone
- Huge amount of work on Bluetooth with various vehicles and devices
- Driving Mode
- Screen rotation lock
- 'X' to close out apps in multitasking
- Icon for multitasking apps
- General performance improvements
- 1080P Display support (for new devices)
- Support for new Qualcomm chipsets