It’s widely known that Windows Phone is a mobile platform that’s rather far behind the competition, especially in market share. Microsoft and the Windows Phone team are aware of this and are scheduling Windows Phone GDR3 for release within the next few months in an attempt to bring more new features to the platform to lure in more users.
Windows Phone 8 GDR3 is set for release in the next few months, along with Nokia’s own Bittersweet shimmer update, which brings along several new features. Here is an unofficial change log of what we can expect. Keep in mind that this is in no way an entire list of changes, just what we know so far.
- Support for 1080p display for new devices like the Lumia 1520.
- Support for new processors.
- 3 medium or 6 small tiles on a row for phones with screen resolution higher than WXGA (1280 x 768) including Lumia 920, 925, 928, 1020 and the Lumia 1520.
- Close apps by tapping on the X on top right in multitasking view. The icon of the app appears below.
- Custom tones for text or IM, voicemail, email and reminders
- Screen Rotation lock: When auto-rotate screen is off, your screen will stay in the current orientation when you rotate your phone.
- Driving Mode: Turns of all notifications except texts and phone calls when you’re driving. You can also turn calls and texts off completely or set Driving Mode to text and automatic reply. Driving Mode can start automatically when your phone connects to a Bluetooth device.
- Connect to WiFi in OOBE when switching on your new phone for the first time or after you your reset your phone, so you can restore your data even before connecting to a cellular network.
- Attach Office files (.doc, .xls, .ppt) and .pdf files in email.
- Glance Screen: Notifications in glance screen similar to the notifications on the lock screen. Choose from any of the 20 accent colors for night mode instead of just red in Amber. You can choose whether you want to keep the glance screen always on when charging, in Amber it is always on when charging.
- New apps: Nokia Camera, Storyteller, and more.
Nokia is expected to unveil new Lumia devices and possibly a tablet, along with new accessories, on October 22nd in an event in Abu Dhabi. Perhaps we will learn more about Bittersweet shimmer and Windows Phone 8 GDR3 during that event. Stay tuned! Are you looking forward to any of the above listed new features?Further reading: Microsoft, Nokia, Windows Phone