Contrary to the notion that most Windows 10 Insiders are build-hungry Fast Ring participants, there are a cautious group of testers who choose to weigh benefits and functionality over speed. The Windows Insider team is rewarding them with a build release to the Slow Ring.
As of today, October 5, 2016, Slow Ring Insiders can test Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14931 for PCs and with it get fixes and improvements such as:
- FIXED: While using Narrator and Groove Music, if you navigate to the progress bar while a song is playing then Narrator will continually speak the progress of the song e.g. update with the current time of the progress bar every second. The result is you will be unable to listen to the song or hear any other control you navigate to.
- FIXED: For keyboard users, using tab to navigate the Settings app will not work in this build. The arrow keys should work as a temporary workaround.
- Feedback Hub Update: Feedback Hub has been updated to version 1.1608.2441.0. This update contains some highly requested features from Windows Insiders including dark mode, showing the original feedback author in the feedback details, and a settings page for Feedback Hub. To enable dark mode, just go into settings in Feedback Hub.
- Maps App Update: The Maps app was updated to version 5.1609.2580.0+ last week. You can now you can check the traffic to your Home or Work locations at any time by tapping the Traffic icon in the app bar. You will see traffic conditions to Home and Work and your most recently viewed traffic cameras so that you can stay on top of the road conditions along your route. Additionally, the Maps app now follows your system setting for theme preference for light or dark mode. And you can choose to change the map theme too!
- Send SMS with Skype Preview: You can now try out sending and receiving SMS and MMS messages directly from a Windows 10 PC when Skype on their Windows 10 Mobile phone is set as the default messaging app. Give it a try and let us know what you think. For more details, see this blog post from the Skype Team.
- Native support for USB Audio 2.0: We now have native support for USB Audio 2.0 devices with an inbox class driver! This is an early version of the driver that does not have all features enabled, for e.g.: only playback (render) is supported with this version. Recording (Capture) support is scheduled to arrive in later iterations. We encourage you to play with the driver and let us know what you think (using the Feedback app). If you already have third-party drivers for your USB Audio 2.0 device installed, follow instructions in this blog post to switch to using the inbox class driver.
Other improvements and fixes for PC
- We fixed the issue causing people to experience a black screen when signing out and switching to another user account and unable to log in to that account.
- We fixed the issue causing the built-in Windows 10 apps such as Calculator, Alarms & Clock, and Voice Recorder to not work after updating to a new build.
- Known issues for PC
- While using Narrator and Groove Music, if you navigate to the progress bar while a song is playing then Narrator will continually speak the progress of the song e.g. update with the current time of the progress bar every second. The result is you will be unable to listen to the song or hear any other control you navigate to.
- Oracle VM VirtualBox will crash on launch after upgrading to this build.
- Optional components may not work after upgrading to this build. To get it working again, go to “Turn Windows features on or off,” scroll down and check the right optional component and click ok. After a reboot, the optional component will be enabled again.
- For keyboard users, using tab to navigate the Settings app will not work in this build. The arrow keys should work as a temporary workaround.
- Tencent apps and games will cause your PC to bug check (bluescreen).
Slow Ring Insiders can head over to their Update Settings page to grab the new update now. Let us know in the comments below, which Insider Ring you are currently on and why?