Windows App Studio to shut down December 1, long live Windows Template Studio!
The UWP app creation tool Windows App Studio is retiring, according to a recent Microsoft blog post. The Windows App Team announced today that with the evolution of Windows Template Studio, the developer tool will be phased out and shut down completely by the end of the year.
Starting in the middle of next month, only existing users will be able to sign in. As the year progresses, the team hopes to see users transition over to Windows Template Studio. Here is the projected schedule for the Windows App Studio shutdown:
- July 15, 2017
- Only existing users can sign in
- Finished application projects can be downloaded
- No new dynamic collections data sources allowed to be created
- Dynamic data will be allowed to be downloaded with a migration path provided
- September 15, 2017
- Application editor will stop working
- Dynamic collections API will stop providing data to your existing applications
- December 1, 2017
- Windows App Studio will be shut down
Windows Template Studio is, for all intents and purposes, a better version of the Windows App Studio for Visual Studio 2017. Furthermore, it is open source and you can download it free on Github.Further reading: app developers, Visual Studio 2017, Windows App Studio, Windows Template Studio