Windows 8's market share performance remains weak when compared to Windows 7

Windows 8's performance remains weak when compared to windows 7

Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system has been controversial since its inception, with some consumers loving the touch-centric change while some consumers believing the operating system was a step towards the wrong direction. Let's take a look at how well Windows 8 has fared in terms of market share when compared to the previous Windows edition, Windows 7.

According to a chart put together by Statista, we can see that Windows 8's market share has begun to slow down and is no where near the share performance of Windows 7. As you can see from the chart above, Windows 7 saw a steady climb in share since its release. Windows 8, on the other hand, isn't seeing the same performance.

According to data from NetApplications, Windows 8 now holds a market share of 6.66% while Windows 8.1 holds a share of 2.64% as of November 2013. This gives Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 a combined share of 9.30%. Windows 7, on the other hand, actually saw an increase in market share, with a 46.64% share for the month of November. 

Windows 7 hit general availability on October 22, 2009, while Windows 8 hit general availability on October 2th of 2012. Windows 8.1 was released on October 17th of 2013.

Microsoft is betting big with Windows 8.1, adding the Start button and other consumer requested features and improvements to the operating system. The company is crossing its fingers and hoping Windows 8.1 sees an increase in share over the holiday season, otherwise, Microsoft's efforts were for nothing.

When you look at the chart above, it is quite obvious that Windows 8 hasn't become as popular as Windows 7. However, Windows 8 continues to see growth - even though its a small growth - every month. Microsoft really needs to pull out some new hat tricks in order to boost the share.

Any suggestions on how Microsoft can increase Windows 8's market share? Let us know in the comments below.

Share This Post:


Did Microsoft quietly extend Windows 7 retail sales life after quietly killing it?

Pin on your Windows 8.1 Start Screen to get the latest news via a Live tile