The official Telegram Desktop app received an update for Windows 10 devices this week adding some major improvements to Telegram’s already impressive free voice chat service that should make rivals such as Clubhouse very very worried.
With the arrival of Voice Chats 2.0, the over 500 million Telegram users around the world can now create voice calls from within groups and channels, have literally millions of people listen to their broadcasts, record calls, and participate in conversations as a channel brand instead of a personal account.
Here’s the official list of improvements made with this update:
VOICE CHATS 2.0: CHANNELS, MILLIONS OF LISTENERS, RECORDED CHATS, ADMIN TOOLS
MILLIONS OF CONCURRENT LISTENERS
- Start limitless Voice Chats in Groups and Channels.
- Host discussions that can be listened to by millions of people simultaneously.
VOICE CHAT RECORDINGS
- Record voice chats to share or publish in Channels later.
- See that a chat is being recorded from the red dot next to its title.
IMPROVED LIST OF PARTICIPANTS
- See user bio texts right from the list of participants.
- Raise your hand to show admins you want to speak.
TOOLS FOR ORGANIZERS
- Create separate Voice Chat Invite Links for listeners or speakers.
- Change the title of your Voice Chat to give people an idea of the current topic.
- Join Voice Chats as one of your Channels to hide your personal account.
Telegram was already one of the fastest-growing communication apps around though it received a significant boost earlier this year due to numerous users leaving Facebook in search of services that place more importance on privacy and security. Telegram already having apps on all major platforms such as Windows, iOS, Android, and the web also helped attract new users.