Microsoft has rolled out a new version of its PowerToys suite of tools with a bunch of stability and accessibility improvements. PowerToys version 0.47 also re-introduces a highly requested feature that lets users quickly enable Shortcut Guide by holding the Windows key.
In addition to this, the latest version of PowerToys brings some updates for PowerToys Run, including an option to choose between "universal English phrasing or system-localized translation" for commands in the utility. It also addresses an issue with the Video Conference Mute tool.
Here is the full changelog for PowerToys version 0.47:
- Upgraded WinUI to 2.7.0.
- Reduced installer size by compressing GIFs. Thanks @niels9001!
- Replaced ShortcutTextContorl with MarkdownTextblock. Thanks @niels9001!
- Added functionality to invoke SHCangeNotify SHCNE_ASSOCCHANGED when thumbnail providers are turned on/off. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Consolidated nuget packages. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Additional logging and error handling added to PowerToys Run. Thanks @htcfreek!
- Moved away from the legacy windevbuildagents pool.
- Added support for embedded MSIX apps in PowerToys.
- Replaced ListView with ComboBox for Image Resizer. Thanks @niels9001!
- Build error fixes.
- Fixed issue with new updates changing the PowerToys install location.
- Fixed settings with NumberBox elements overlapping the delete button.
- Fixed issue with the bug report tool not generating .zip files.
- Updated the shortcut configuration experience in Settings. Thanks @niels9001!
- Fixed inconsistent width of sidebar icons. Thanks @niels9001!
- Fixed sidebar UI not scaling for longer text strings in certain localizations. Thanks @niels9001!
- Fixed issue with settings not displaying invalid keystroke assignments. Thanks @niels9001!
- Added user defined shortcuts when set to the "Welcome to PowerToys" instead of the default shortcuts.
- Accessibility issues addressed. Thanks @niels9001!
- Added CIELAB and CIEXYZ color formats. Thanks @RubenFricke!
- Fixed bug where changing RGB values manually doesn't automatically update the color displayed. Thanks @martinchrzan!
- Fixed regression where restarting computer resets user defined layouts to the default selection.
- Fixed issues with Grid layout editor not showing the "Save" and "Cancel" buttons.
- Fixed accessibility issue where users could not add or merge zones using the keyboard.
- Added a flyout describe the prerequisites for the "Allow zones to span across monitors" option.
- Fixed various crashing bugs.
File Explorer add-ons
- Added PDF Thumbnail Provider for Windows Explorer. Thanks @rdeveen!
- Added default values for newly added sizes. Thanks @htcfreek!
- Fixed regression where spaces in the filename format settings couldn't be registered.
- Corrected scaling issues with Image Resizer Window. Thanks @niels9001!
- Fixed issue where PowerToys crashes when json settings are not formatted properly. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Fixed crash when adding a shortcut.
- Fixed issue with Re-mappings window not displaying.
- Fixed issue when remapping a shortcut to
Tabnavigation with arrow keys.
- Improvements on subtitle layout for Settings plugin. Thanks @htcfreek!
- Added path filters for Settings plugin via
>key. Thanks @htcfreek!
- Translation improvements for Settings plugin. Thanks @htcfreek!
- Added translation support for Settings Plugin. Thanks @htcfreek!
- Fixed issue with PowerToys Run not being in focus when launched.
- Fixed crash on empty/deleted environment variables when updating variables after a change. Thanks @htcfreek!
- Corrected Registry Plugin query results.
- Fixed crash in Registry plugin queries.
- Fixed crash when Windows shuts down.
- Added better description in the global results settings for plugins. Thanks @niels9001!
- Added a confirmation box before running system commands. Thanks @chrisharris333 and @davidegiacometti!
- Added option to use system localization our universal terminology for system commands. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Re-added the long Win key press to activate utility.
Video Conference Mute
- Fixed an issue with the first hotkey input in the settings being focused when the page loads. Prevents unintentionally shortcut reassignment. Thanks @niels9001!
Microsoft notes that it plans to release an experimental update of PowerToys (version 0.48) in the first week of October. This release will include enhancements for the much-awaited Video Conference Mute tool and all the improvements and bug fixes introduced in version 0.47.
If you are using PowerToys, you can head over to the General tab and click the "Check for updates" button to get the latest fixes and stability updates. The new PowerToys version is available to download from the official Github page.