Windows 10 Insider build 15042 brings a number of fixes and improvements to PC
Microsoft has just released the Windows 10 Insider PC build 15042 for Windows Insiders in the Fast Ring, and after two weeks without a new build this one brings a significant number of fixes and improvements. Most of them are for Microsoft Edge, but other highlights include changes to Internet Explorer, the Settings app and the Action center and more.
Here the full list of changes:
- You should no longer see “Initializing…” when attempting to download new builds.
- The download progress indicator shown when downloading new builds under Settings > Update & security > Windows Update should be working as expected and it should no longer appear you are getting stuck at 0% or at other percentages.
- We fixed the issue causing the Settings app to crash when navigating to Settings > Devices and you should be able to pair a Bluetooth device without any issue. The Bluetooth quick action from Action Center should also now work again. This issue may also have resulted in generally decreased reliability in the quick action section of the Action Center.
- You should be able to launch the Connect UX via Action Center, Win + K, or Settings again.
- We fixed an issue where under Settings > Update & security > Windows Update Insiders might see the text “Some Settings are managed by your organization” even though the PC wasn’t being managed by an organization.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Action Center sometimes appearing blank and transparent without color.
- We fixed an issue where upgrading with an Xbox controller paired over Bluetooth could result in touch input not working and unexpected beeps when using the mouse.
- We fixed an issue where items displayed in the autocomplete dropdown when filling form fields in Microsoft Edge would not insert when clicked.
- We fixed an issue resulting in images unexpectedly being missing from certain PDFs when viewed in Microsoft Edge.
- We fixed an issue resulting in web notifications not launching the associated website in Microsoft Edge after being clicked.
- We fixed an issue from recent flights resulting in some downloads from Microsoft Edge unexpectedly getting stuck in the “Waiting to download” state.
- We fixed an issue where the calculator button on the keyboard wouldn’t work if Microsoft Edge was in focus.
- We also fixed an issue where Win + Shift + left/right arrow wouldn’t work on Microsoft Edge after selecting text on the open website.
- We fixed an issue where pressing Alt + C with text selected in Microsoft Edge didn’t open the Cortana pane on recent flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Microsoft Edge not being able to open the file:// protocol with the AdBlock Plus extension enabled.
- We fixed an issue where in Microsoft Edge, if you were already on a website associated with an app, clicking a link on that website to go somewhere else on the website’s domain would unexpectedly launch the associated app.
- We fixed an issue resulting in not being able to insert words into certain text fields in Microsoft Edge when using the handwriting panel to enter text.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the password placeholder text being unexpectedly shifted down in certain password text fields in Microsoft Edge.
- The new Share icon is now visible in Microsoft Edge and the Windows Ink Workspace Sketchpad and Screen Sketch.
- We fixed an issue we certain devices on recent builds where resuming from hibernation could result in a bug check.
- We fixed an issue where sometimes a single notification toast might not pop up, only to be unexpectedly found duplicated in the Action Center.
- We broadened our recent fix for an issue that had some PCs with older graphics chipsets seeing white or colored boxes in the place of text and some UI elements in UWP apps to cover more hardware.
- If you right-click an app suggestion in Share, you’ll now find a context menu option to turn them off.
- We fixed an issue where ink would go under the Windows Ink protractor when inking with the highlighter.
- We fixed an issue where the first ink stroke into the Windows Ink Workspace Sketchpad wouldn’t enable the clear all button.
- We fixed an issue where the sample ink stroke seen in the Windows Ink pen, pencil and highlighter flyout would appear to blink when the flyout was first opened.
- We fixed an issue that could result in the new XAML scrollbar animation (as seen in Settings) becoming stuck in the transition state.
- We fixed an issue resulting in “Microsoft Camera Front” and “Microsoft Camera Rear” unexpectedly showing up, with barcode scanner icons, as optional devices to connect to in Devices Settings on Surface Books.
- We fixed an issue where explorer.exe might crash the first time an ISO file is double-clicked.
- We fixed an issue from the last flight where if the gateway host name was of the form [ipv6address]::port, Remote Desktop couldn’t connect to the gateway.
- We fixed an issue where the bug check screen on high resolution displays wasn’t rendering the “Frowny” part of the frowny face.
- We fixed an issue where night light might not turn on/off automatically if the device was asleep at the time at which the night light state was scheduled to change.
- The night light on/off animation’s duration has been increased to 2 minutes – appreciate everyone who’s shared feedback for this feature, keep it coming!
- Microsoft Edge’s “Inspect Element” and “View Source” options should launch correctly to the DOM Explorer and Debugger, respectively.
If you haven’t done it yet, you can download this latest preview build by checking Windows Update in the Settings app. Once you’re done with the installation process, let us know in the comments if this build is working fine on your PC!Further reading: build 15042, Windows 10, Windows Insider