For folks a little more discerning of their participation in Microsoft’s feedback and iterate process for Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile, updates and upgrades come at a much slower clip. However, when they do land, they tend to be much more reliable than what Windows Insiders on the Fast and Slow Ring release cycles receive.
Today, Gabe Aul of the Windows team reached out to Insiders participating in the Release Preview Ring to inform them that new cumulative updates for PC and Mobile are now hitting devices.
New Cumulative Updates released earlier today for the Release Preview ring on PC and Mobile: https://t.co/1hSlsfrB1z
— Gabriel Aul (@GabeAul) April 28, 2016
The new Cumulative Update for PCs comes in at version number 10586.240 while mobile users should be on the lookout for version number 10586.242 for their devices.
As cumulative updates to more stable releases of the operating systems, PC -10586.240 and Mobile – 10586.242 do not bear any noteworthy features but offer a few key fixes and improvements
- Improvements to general application compatibility
- Improvements in the upgrade experience, including fixing an issue where some devices would lose data connections or touch input after upgrading to Windows 10.
- Improved the reliability of reminders
- Improved UI for tracking data usage under Settings > Network and wireless > Data Usage.
- Improved the navigation bar experience for some devices.
- Fixed an issue where some SD card readers were not recognized
- Updated Daylight Saving in countries with Daylight Saving changes
While Release Preview Ring Insiders may not be on the cutting edge as Fast or Slow Ring participants, many can still visit the Feedback Hub within Windows 10 Insider previews for more information on build releases.Further reading: cumulative update, Fast Ring, Microsoft, release preview, slow ring, Windows 10, Windows 10 Insider, Windows 10 Mobile