The technology news business is a 24/7 operation. Here at WinBeta, we strive to bring you the best and latest of what Microsoft has to offer, but sometimes we miss a thing or two. This is how you can help out! We are looking to bring in one or perhaps two more writers (from anywhere in the world) into the fold. Do you have what it takes?
The job isn’t easy and it isn’t for the faint of heart. Our mission is simple – bring our readers the very best of Microsoft, before anyone else. We’ve done a good job so far, but there is always room for improvement. Here are our requirements:
- You must be over 18 years old.
- You must be able to accept criticism from staff and members. No writer is perfect and mistakes can/will happen. Your ability to accept criticism is very important.
- Be able to write a minimum of 5 news stories a week. The more you write, the faster you will promote and the more money you earn.
- All posts are required to be Microsoft-centric, originally written, and not copy/pasted.
- We have friends who write about Microsoft too. You must respect them and give credit where its due. Proper sourcing will be enforced.
- We will be very strict on proper grammar and English. We don’t expect you to be perfect, but we do expect you to know how to write. We will provide you with proper training on news writing guidelines, so don’t worry :)
Our writers are a team and we collaborate as such. Writers who show dedication are rewarded and are also compensated. Don’t expect to replace your day job but you can definitely earn a decent amount of money (which comes from advertising revenue). You will also have the opportunity to attend special tech events, such as BUILD, and more. This is a great stepping stone and method of exposure if you are interested in the world of journalism. There are also other perks, you will just have to wait and see :)
If you are interested in writing for WinBeta, here are the important steps you must follow. Any submission that does not follow these simple steps will be ignored. Being able to follow directions is quite important.
Email [email protected] and introduce yourself. Tell me your name, your location, why you are interested in the position, and why we should select you. This should be written in three paragraphs, no more and no less. You are also required to send in an example of your written work. Head over here and write a story based on what the source says — complete with title and body — and attach it to your email. You can use this story as a template to guide you through how our stories look (in terms of body length, title size, picture, etc). The story must be four paragraphs minimum, but there is no maximum limit. Show us that you can indeed write! You can send in examples of previous work, but I want to see how well you write the story we provided.
Note: Due to the sheer number of submissions we received last time around, we won’t be able to reply to everyone this time. If we like you, we will get in touch with you!
If you don’t have the time nor the interest in writing for us, don’t worry! There are plenty of other ways you can help contribute to this site and to the community. Help jumpstart a conversation by posting a comment, share our posts to various social media outlets such as Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit, and send us news tip! These are all great ways to help out and we will definitely love you for it!
Now back to the news…Further reading: Jobs, WinBeta, Writer