What’s new in Windows 10 Insider build 16237: Input
Microsoft and the Windows Insider team released preview build 16237 today full of lots of feature improvements to discover. Some of them are already right at the tips of your fingers where Microsoft has fixed up the Fast ring with some input improvements.
build 16237, Emoji, Windows 10, Windows Insider
Emoji Panel turns it up a notch:
- Type to search with the new Emoji Panel now supports emoji 5.0! We also added a bunch more keywords along the way.
- Have you ever wondered “What the heck is this emoji supposed to be”? Wonder no more! If you hover your mouse over any of the emoji in the Emoji Panel, you’ll now see a handy showing you the exact Unicode character name. Bonus: we’ve added tooltips to the categories so they’re no longer a mystery.
- We fixed an issue for our dark theme lovers where the X to close out the Emoji Panel was black on black.
Improved touch keyboard experience:
- We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard was passing the wrong window size information when shapewriting with the one-handed keyboard, leading to accuracy issues. Please try it again in today’s build and let us know if it seems improved.
- As you type with the touch keyboard, you will now hear a sound with each key press – much as you did with the previous version of the keyboard before we introduced our new one.
- We fixed some issues in learning your typing style, so you should find text predictions improved now the more you type and correct using the touch keyboard.
- Since we now will relaunch the keyboard where you left it, we’ve decided to remove the left and right docked modes from the one-handed keyboard. As a refresher, if you want to move the keyboard, simply drag the candidate bar.
- We improved the reliability of the Japanese one-handed 10-key Kana touch keyboard.
- We fixed an issue from recent flights where the touch keyboard and handwriting panel would unexpectedly appear sometimes.
- We fixed an issue where the text candidates would appear using unexpectedly small font.
- We fixed an issue where only the one-handed keyboard was available on PCs with small screens.
Handwriting panel improvements:
- We fixed an issue where if the text in the handwriting panel shifted while you were inking, it could result in an unintentional ink stroke across the panel.
- We fixed an issue where a word might be inserted twice if you dismissed the panel by changing focus to somewhere else on the screen.