In the latest episode of Visual Studio Toolbox, host Robert Green is joined by Scott Klein, the host of Data Exposed and SQL Unplugged shows. Together, Green and Klein walk you through some of the latest Microsoft advancements in data technology, both on-premises and in the cloud.
Some of the most important topics of this Visual Studio Toolbox episode include:
- SQL Server 2016 [03:30] -> Some of the exciting new features in SQL Server 2016 include StretchDB (stretch your on-premises cold data transparently and securely to the cloud), Polybase (access and combine both relational and non-relational data all from within SQL Server), Always Encrypted (enables clients to encrypt sensitive data inside client applications without ever revealing the encryption keys to the database engine), R Services (a platform for developing and deploying intelligent applications using the powerful R language), and operational analytics (run both analytics and OLTP workloads in the same database).
- Cloud [13:00] -> Focusing on the cloud, Scott discusses many of the Azure services that focus on data starting with SQL Database and Azure SQL Data Warehouse.
- Analytics [15:15] -> Azure Cortana Intelligence suite of services, including Event Hub and IoT Hub (data ingress services), Stream Analytics (real-time event processing engine), Azure Data Factory (data integration and orchestration service), Azure Data Lake Store (hyper-scale repository for big data analytic workloads).
- U-SQL [20:10] -> A language that unifies the benefits of SQL with the expressive power of .NET for Azure Data Lake Analytics.
- Visual Studio plug-ins [22:00]: Visual Studio plug-ins for both Azure Data Factory and Azure Stream Analytics.
More information about U-SQL and Azure Data Lake Analytics is available here. Stay tuned for the next episode of Visual Studio Toolbox.Further reading: Microsoft, Visual Studio, Visual Studio Toolbox