EA and Respawn Entertainment today announced and launched Apex Legends, a new free-to-play battle royale video game set within the same universe as Titanfall and Titanfall 2.
The game is set around 30 years after the Titanfall 2 campaign and focuses on human combatants over the giant titan mechs, which is likely why its title lacks any reference to them. Apex Legends is completely free for anyone to play and supports itself via loot boxes containing purely cosmetic items that have no impact on gameplay or progress whatsoever.
Apex Legends is the latest of the many new battle royale video games launching after the incredible success of Fortnite and PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) but its design aesthetic and setting does help set it apart from these two giant rivals.
Here's its official game description and download link for Xbox One:
Conquer with character in Apex Legends, a free-to-play Battle Royale shooter where legendary characters with powerful abilities team up to battle for fame and fortune on the fringes of the Frontier. Master an ever-growing roster of diverse legends, deep tactical squad play, and bold new innovations that level-up the Battle Royale experience—all within a rugged world where anything goes. Welcome to the next evolution of Battle Royale.
- A Roster of Legendary Characters: Master a growing roster of powerful Legends, each with their own unique personality, strengths, and abilities that are easy to pick up, but challenging to truly master
- Build Your Crew: Choose your Legend and combine their unique skills together with other players to form the ultimate crew.
- Strategic Battle Royale: Use your abilities--and your wits--to make strategic calls on the fly, adapting your crew's strengths to meet new challenges as the match evolves.
- Genre-Evolving Innovation: Experience a brand-new array of innovative features that level-up the Battle Royale genre, including Respawn Beacons, Smart Comms, Intelligent Inventory, and an all-new way to drop into the action with Jumpmaster deployment.
- Sweet, Sweet Loot: Drop in and loot up with a host of powerful weapons, diverse attachments, and useful armor to protect you in battle. After the battle, collect a wealth of cosmetic options for personalizing your character and weapons, and unlock new ways to show off during the match.
Have you had a chance to play Apex Legends yet on your Xbox One console? Share your impressions with the community in the comments below and then follow us on Pinterest for more Xbox gaming content.