Every week, Microsoft releases a new build for the Edge Insider Dev channel, and today’s update bring some pretty big changes. With the new build 18.104.22.168, the Dev channel is now joining the Canary channel on the the version 77 of the Chromium open-source project.
There are several UI and UX changes in this update, as well as the usual bug fixes (some being exclusive to the macOS version). You can check all the details below:
New features and behavior:
- Added a page in Settings to choose your desired New Tab Page layout.
- Added an option in the Help and Feedback menu to report an unsafe website.
- Multiple tabs can now be selected using the keyboard’s ctrl and space keys.
- Added dark theme to the Send Feedback dialog.
- Added a separator between the active tab and the rest of the tabs when the color of the tab band makes it difficult to tell the difference between the active tab and the rest of the tabs.
- Updated the color of windows when they’re inactive.
Fixes for improved reliability:
- Fixed an issue where opening Settings as a guest crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where opening DevTools in InPrivate sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the loading spinner and the tab icon existed at the same time.
- Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
- Fixed an issue where certain webpages with videos would crash.
- Fixed an issue where favorites sometimes get deleted if the first run experience is interrupted.
- Fixed some strings that weren’t translated.
- Fixed an issue where installed websites can’t be uninstalled from Windows Settings.
- Fixed an issue where DevTools extensions weren’t appearing in the list of DevTools extensions.
- Fixed an issue where sync sometimes wouldn’t work when using a VPN.
- Fixed an issue where files shown on the downloads page used a generic icon instead of the file’s own icon.
- Fixed an issue where clicking the Restart App button when installing an update doesn’t open the browser again.
- Fixed an issue where context menus sometimes aren’t shown.
- Fixed an issue where the text for the keyboard shortcut to open Downloads is different depending on where it is seen.
- Fixed an issue where the prompt to enter keychain credentials is unexpectedly seen after installing a new build.
Since Microsoft gave up on EdgeHTML, we've gone from bi-annual updates for Microsoft Edge to weekly updates on the new Edge Insider Dev channel, and daily updates on the Canary channel. One of the best consequences of the switch to Chromium is the much faster release cycle, with the new Chromium Edge now matching what Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox already offer with their own beta programs. We're still waiting for the Edge Insider Beta channel to go live, but the Edge Insider team said last week during a Reddit AMA session that it would be coming "once it's ready for everyone to use."