For those that didn’t know, modern.IE is a service that contains pre-configured virtual machines for testing Internet Explorer 6 through Internet Explorer 10, across Windows, Mac, and Linux. Modern.IE features a scanning tool that will flag common compatibility issues for your website, so you can test your site on various operating systems and Internet Explorer versions with ease.
In the latest update to the service, Microsoft has added the following new improvements. These improvements were made based on feedback and to ‘update the base Windows versions.’
- Now use IE blocker toolkit to keep the version of IE for that image fixed and not auto-updated
- Set Windows Update on and to auto update
- Applied all applicable Windows Updates to the images up to November 2014
- Changed the archive technology from RAR to ZIP based on community feedback
- Added a single large ZIP file archive as a download option in addition to multi-part files as requested by the community
Modern.IE has been quite successful since launching over a year ago. Here is what Microsoft had to say once the service reached its first birthday. “Since launching modern.IE last year, developers have saved over 1 million hours testing for Internet Explorer! We launched modern.IE with the simple aim of helping web developers test their sites with IE and are thrilled to find that the site has made a real impact after just one year,” Microsoft stated in an official blog post.