Yesterday, AT&T rolled out the update to Windows 10 Mobile build 10586.164 to non-Windows Insider Lumia 950s, bringing everyday users everything that’s new in the latest production version of Microsoft’s mobile OS. Today, according to TmoNews.com, T-Mobile is joining in on the fun by rolling out the update to the Alcatel Fierce XL device.
As a reminder, here’s what’s new in 10586.164:
- Improvements in the reliability of app notifications, including text messages and alarms not ringing as scheduled.
- Improvements for text message backup to reduce data and battery usage.•Fixes for Microsoft Edge with address bar suggestions showing late or persisting during navigation, “Close all tabs” not closing all tabs, and Word Flow on the address bar not functioning as expected.
- Fix a problem where the Microsoft account was not detected by the Outlook Mail, Outlook Calendar, and People app.
- Attempting to add a new contact in this state caused the People app to crash for some users.
- Fix a problem that caused the Wi-Fi connection to switch temporarily off after prolonged use for some users.
- Fix a problem that caused first-party app updates to fail to install successfully for some users leaving the apps in a state where they cannot be launched.
- Improvements in battery usage, Bluetooth connectivity, and OS reliability.
You’ll remember the Fierce XL as relatively midrange Windows 10 Mobile phablet. Here’re our conclusions from when we reviewed the device:
I would be inclined to say it’s an “okay,” maybe even “decent” phone if its speaker were, at least, average. One of the joys of owning a 5.5-inch display phone is being able to watch videos on it with aplomb. The display handles the visual side of the experience well, but the speakers are so abysmal that it ruins any chance of a decent non-headphone-powered viewing experience. Speaker performance was one of those things I had taken for granted with other phones and was shocked at how much it dampened the smartphone experience.”
If you’re using an Alcatel Fierce XL on T-Mobile, you can, at least, revel in the experience of getting a relatively timely update. Other Windows fans with older Lumia device should be joining you soon, however, as expectations mount that Microsoft will be releasing Windows 10 Mobile platform-wide starting tomorrow.Further reading: Alcatel, build 10586.164, Microsoft, update, Windows 10 Mobile